'80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (: - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (:

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Some pictures of her up on the stands getting stuff done
Called and got quoted on a Line-X here in town. On Tuesday I'm going to take her down and get confirmation and hopefully have it done by the end of the week!

Friesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Well after getting her interior down to a seat and dash I realized how much cancer she has. This is ruining my budget, I'm quite depressed over it. Going to need to get her all sand blasted and patched in order to get a tub with integrity. Unfortunatly I don't have the time, nor space, nor emotional support/approval from my father to remove the tub and just do a frame off. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using JeepForum
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Friesc-
We've all been there. On a limited budget, these things can be daunting. Send some pics of the rusted areas. We can all pitch in with ideas on what to do. Some of the members have done some amazing things with pieces of sheet metal from the hardware store. Keep your chin up!
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

I'll get some up tomorrow, I'm currently a bit put off and going to do homework for now. Hopefully after work tomorrow I can get some progress made!
Unread 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

It's been a while since I've had an update, reason being is it's been a while since I've done anything. Currently just waiting for Monday to come around, it's gonna end up at my mechanic to get a full look over and replace the full exhaust system. One thing I did get done though, took it down to the semi yard my parents work from and got the pressure washer up to 180 degrees and washed the whole thing, engine compartment, underside, wheels, differentials, and got the original carpet glue out of the tub. It came out a whole new color! haha! I'll be sure to try and get some pictures up soon, just busy with work and school and can't do much until Monday evening anyways.!
Unread 06-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

What are these?

When I first got the CJ5 I thought these were Jerrycan mounts, now after some research I have no idea... Help me figure out what these are!

Unread 06-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesc
When I first got the CJ5 I thought these were Jerrycan mounts, now after some research I have no idea... Help me figure out what these are!

They are called bumperettes, and they're junk IMO.

Keep us posted with your progress, as it's looking good thus far!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Thanks SKT (: One has already been 'bumped' it seems, I plan on taking them off and replacing one of em with a flag mount anyways :P
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Well I just dropped her off to get an all new exhaust system done up and to have a complete mechanical check up. I'm sure my debit card will hate me tomorrow.
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Well the debit card doesn't hate me. The whole thing cost a total of $0,000.00. The check up was free as he is a friend of my fathers and he won't touch the exhaust, if he were to replace it, they would be required by law to add a catalytic converter :/

Also helped me find out where she leaks from. I'll get right on fixing the leaks and will remove my exhaust system myself, take it to em and have em build a clean one just like it, then have to do the swap on my own. Oh well. She's a project!

On another note! I did just pick up two WWII era jerry cans for $25, one is dented and the other immaculate, going to turn the dented one into a tool chest and paint them both to match.
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #26
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Well I've been wrestling with this rattle for a few now. Thought it was the exhaust system, had that all looked at and tightened. Then I figured it was probably my broken engine mount, just spend two hours replacing both of those, but nope. The second I fired up the girl she started to rattle again. It sounds like if you were to have a wind chime made out of the same size pieces of aluminum. The rattle goes for like 30 seconds then stops. I put it in gear and it starts again, any ideas from the forum?
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #27
P-Dawg

Nice project, I'm also restoring a cj and am a big fan! Hope to see updates!
P-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #28
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

They'll be coming, slowly, but they surely will!
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #29
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Alright guys(and gals) I'm going to have to pull the dash before they can do the line-x (or so they told me) so while I'm at it, I'm going to try and redo the wiring and replace my lights with LEDs. Anyone have any idea what size LEDs and how many of each will be needed? I know I will need white for the break, turn signals and what not, but I'd like to go green for the rest. I'd hope to know soon so I can get stuff ordered and get this project moving along!

Chris
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Still waiting on some info on the lights - hopefully someone will look at this and know.

Also according to my state statutes:http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/ids...SECT49-966.htm
What do I need on the rear end, do I need to keep bumperetts or will I be okay removing those?(bone stock cj5 1980)

Tags
cj5 , restoration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.