'80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (: - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (:

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

'80 CJ5 Restoration, not build up (:

Hey all, so I've been a lurker on the forums for way too long and I figured this would help get my butt in gear and get some work done!

I purchased a 1998 TJ with a combination of Grad/18th birthday money and aid from my parents. I loved it, but something inside me has been changing and I fell in love with the CJ series, specifically the CJ5. After nearly six months of pestering and arguing and pleas with my parents I have finally got them on board. I proudly displayed my '98 Wrangler on CL and with patients I got her sold. $7,200. After paying my father back for fronting me on a few repairs, and purchasing my new toy (pictures below) I have $2,000 dollars to make her mine at the moment, but always working and still dependant on parents for most things so will have some money always set aside for my CJ (:

Also I need to name her but no idea as to what yet.

On the ABSOLUTE need to do list is:
  • Full engine and mechanical cleaning and tune up. (not my forte )
  • Address the cancer on the tubs outside (will probably lead to a paint job)
  • Rhinoline/Line-x/Amraguard the inside of the tub
  • Clean the dash area, gauges, loose wires, new steering wheel, remove stereo spot
  • Locking Console with stereo, and figure out the best way to install speakers into the CJ5
  • Install a back seat and hopefully be able to afford to reupholster all of the seats to match and be weather proofed. (current front seats are not)

Feel free to give me some pointers(PLEASE) and I hope you all enjoy what progress will be slow, but hopefully significant.

Friesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

First thing I did after I brought her home was take of the soft top and put the bikini top on!

She looks really good in this picture, really dirty though, needs a bath, and a new windshield(tomorrow at 4pm!)

Under the hood, I'd like to figure out how to get rid of all of these hoses and the vacuum, I'm sure their is a way to do it. If anyone knows, point me in the right direction!

Is this discoloration normal in a CJ5 in this area or is it something I should be concerned about?

She's a little dirty underneath, and you can tell she is dripping oil. Gonna get under here tomorrow and clean her out to see how the mechanical side of things down here really are.

Back side of the tub(carpet still down) can see the bits of cancer forming in the edges, gonna get her cleaned and lined here in the next couple of weeks.

Began pulling the carpet back to asses the tub underneath it, doesn't look to bad! Any one know what the five bolts in this picture are for? I think they're for a seat?

I want to get into the gauges, get some decent back lights and get the temp gauge and fuel gauge working again. Hopefully somehow filling the stereo hole since I plan on putting one in the console.

She's really rough up on the fire wall area, wires everywhere. I am not the best with electrical side of things, but I hope to get this all cleaned up, as for the fire wall, the tub liner should clean it up and halt and damage.

Unread 06-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Well I made a to do list for the weekend and will check back and every so often where I have finish and again on Monday evening, with hopefully most of it done, with pictures!
  • Replace Windshield
  • Replace Break Pads
  • Replace Front and Rear Shocks
  • Replace Steering Stabilizer replaced
  • Replace Washer fluid bottle
  • Replace Wipers
  • Oil and Filter change
  • Replace air filter
  • Replace Broken Engine Mount
  • Remove remaining carpet
  • Get her lifted up on a stand and pressure wash the underside to hopefully find my leaks
  • Replace some lower radiator hosing
  • Look into and probably replace rear breaks
  • and install a new battery mount bracket
  • Maybe pick up a rear seat locally(found one in PA)

If I somehow manage to get it all done I shall be quite pleased and may even get some homework done.

Last edited by Friesc; 06-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Checking things off list.
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Might want to go over that hood rust with some acid neutralizer; it looks like someone might've exploded a battery down there.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Oh that would make perfect sense! Thank you! I shall add that to the list!
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, it looks so different with a 4 cylinder under the hood. Nice find, and welcome to the obsession. Before you ditch the air cleaner there is an attachment you can add to that one that will run up to the front grill area, creating the 80s cold air intake. Awesome that you already have power breaks and steering.

Search to forums for "Adventures Under the Hood". Great reading on all the tubes and such under the hood, then you can make an informed decision on what you should try and remove, or keep. Take lots of pics and label all the stuff that comes off. Some of the old emissions stuff is worth a lot to our friends in California that still need to run it.

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbookie View Post
...Before you ditch the air cleaner there is an attachment you can add to that one that will run up to the front grill area, creating the 80s cold air intake. Awesome that you already have power breaks and steering....
I wasn't ditching it! Was just gonna replace the filter inside of it, but now that you mention it, I should probably look into the attachment you mentioned, and after test driving 8 CJ5s, I really enjoyed the 77-83s with the Power steering over the ones without

Last edited by Friesc; 06-22-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nice score! I'd treat all of that rust with a rust converter product prior to applying a bedliner. Overall it appears to be in very good shape.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Not a bad idea, I am going to take it down to a local shop where I have free use of pressure washers and what not. Plan on strippin all but drivers seat, drive down, remove, wash tub really well, lift by the bumper with the fork lift and clean the underside. Need to find that leak and get it fixed :/
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Be super careful using a forklift. The tank is right near the rear bumper. Tilt the forks all the way back and chock the wheels. If lifting from the front, same deal. Just hate to see the forks slide into the gas tank or your steering gear.
BTW, they are making repo Levis air fresheners in your color on Ebay.
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Well with the lift I trust the man doing it, He's my father and has been working around semis and loading and driving and dispatching for the past 20 years. I appreciate the heads up and will be sure to let him know though!

What are these ropo levis air fresheners?

Last edited by Friesc; 06-23-2012 at 01:29 AM..
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
1983 CJ7 

Very nice 5 and I agree, finding a GM151 with PS & PB's is a huge plus.

Here is a photo of one of the sweetest 151's on Jeepforum and a link to the 7 build, also one of my favorites.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/pr...tarian-495797/

Unread 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

Well I don't have access to the garage as this time because my brothers racecar is in there :/, so my work is all done in the driveway, limits my ability.

Just removed carpet, now - best ways to remove the carpet glue?

Last edited by Friesc; 06-23-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is a product called Goof Off, or the less Toxic Goo Gone that might help remove the old glue.

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
Friesc
1980 CJ5 

At this point I'm just going to try and use the steam pressure washer we have down where my family parks the semis

Tags
cj5 , restoration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.