'80 cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '80 cj

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
heathen68

'80 cj

My friend just bought an 80 cj. The front and rear axles are trashed should he rebuild them or try and junkyard them? what will fit under his cj?

cobra 29 cb and 4'firestik
Pioneer cd/mp3 player
K&N
ARB bullbar with Warn M8000
Sylvania Silverstar Headlights
XM Satellite Radio
RE "hack and tap" SYE
Garvin Roof Rack w/ full size spare
IPF 868's mounted on bullbar
IPF 968's on roof rack
heathen68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Use matching 82 to 86 factory wide track axles as a direct bolt in replacement.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2003, 01:48 AM   #3
scottahicks

contact 4wheeler4CJ I think he has a set of good used wide-trac axels for sale just send him a PM

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #4
kev1

I have a 1980 CJ7 and I would agree with scottahicks and "only in a jeep cj" I feel that the narrow trac axles lend problems to larger tires. I have kept my axles and diff. because I don't have any problems with them, I just replace the bearings, seals, and races all the way around plus I have 4.10 gears. So I bought new Mickey Thompson wheels with a 3.25" backspacing so I would have good clearance with 32" tires. It made it wider and I think they look good and with the wheels fully poining in eather direction I have about an inch or two clearance between the back of the tire and the spring and frame.

Just my opinion and some experience.

http://www.eacci.com/framelift.gif

Frame painted with a Rough Country 2.5" lift and shocks installed.
Alot of money spent on parts that are all over including a new 258.
kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.