8 lug 44 front, strong enough? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 8 lug 44 front, strong enough?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
GVHS
1984 CJ7 

8 lug 44 front, strong enough?

I am needing to find a front axle for my build. I have been trying to find a dana 60 but people think that all 60s are worth $1000 buck incomplete and in the wrong gear.

I can get an 8 lug 44 or 10 bolt for under $400 and have money left to spare. I am concerned as I plan to run 38s maybe 40s. Can they hold up if I treat em right? I know 60s would be better, but they are hard to find.

Motor is a 360/727/300

GVHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That big of a tire get some 60's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
papa355
1977 CJ7 

around here you can buy a whole rusted out/ junk truck for $1000 +/-with 60's front and rear. hell it may even run. Hell ..........who am I kidding some of those are daily drivers in the rust belt........lol.

serious tho, look for a complete truck, headed to JY, then you'll get lots of parts, you may need or can sell. then junk rest of the truck.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
GVHS
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355 View Post
around here you can buy a whole rusted out/ junk truck for $1000 +/-with 60's front and rear. hell it may even run. Hell ..........who am I kidding some of those are daily drivers in the rust belt........lol.

serious tho, look for a complete truck, headed to JY, then you'll get lots of parts, you may need or can sell. then junk rest of the truck.
Been trying that as well, but really only need the axle I have everything else for my build. Engine, tranny xnsfer etc. If I needed the motor and tranny than I would feel good about a whole vehicle...
GVHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVHS View Post
Been trying that as well, but really only need the axle I have everything else for my build. Engine, tranny xnsfer etc. If I needed the motor and tranny than I would feel good about a whole vehicle...
Pull the axles, and scrap the rest for $400.
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I would do 60's with that size tire.

Do it right and do it once.
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
dhubing
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on how you plan on wheeling it. Id go 1ton. An 8lug d44 is no stronger than a 5 or 6lug d44.
dhubing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

The only D44 front axle that is stronger than others are the 74-77 ford high pinion ones. Most of these have 1/2" wall tubes and reverse cut gears are stronger in a front axle. But they still have 30 spline shafts. If you had one of these and ran alloy shafts on it then you would be good for 37" tires.

Note that there are "super 44" carriers for 33 spline axle shafts in a Dana 44 but I don't know where you would get 33 spline axle shafts.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.