79'ish air cleaner housing with power sterring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
UncleRemis
1979 CJ7 

79'ish air cleaner housing with power brakes

I am looking for a representative photo of a definitively original late 70's CJ ('79 ideally) engine bay showing what type of air cleaner housing was used on a 258 with power brakes. You would think this would not be difficult to obtain, but trust me, I looked everywhere online and in literature for the past few years, including original example late 70's CJs that have been offered for sale. Most with power steering all have 304s.

Not many late 70s with 258s had power brakes. The few that do, usually have had the carb replaced with a 2100 and no longer have the original air cleaner housing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hi Uncle,

Below is the illustration of the air cleaner from the '79 FSM.

And the pic below that is my all original '81 with power steering. The differences that I notice are the '79 had only one vacuum motor on the snout for the TAC system, whereas the '81 had 2. And the lid on the '79 is centered on the hold-down stud. The '81 is slightly offset.

Hope that helps a little,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
'79-AirCleaner.jpg  
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 09:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I never realized there were clearance problems with power STEERING !!! I had the same air cleaner housing with and without power steering pump attached. Of course a 76 air cleaner housing was a pretty simple piece. No vacuum motors if I recall correctly. Just a TAC connection.

Wonder if he meant power brakes and someone distracted him when searching... I do that sometimes....

post #4 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
UncleRemis
1979 CJ7 

Matt, Thank you very much for the reply. I "think" the PS option required a different set-up with the air cleaner oriented the left in order to avoid contact with the longer master cylinder due to the brake booster addition. This is what occurred post 1980 but I can not find the proof I need for the 70s set-up. Right now I have the off-set "tear drop" shape cleaner with the snorkel attached to the carb like the post 80 CJs but I want to try to do what is period correct.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:04 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I can see a squeeze with the A.I.R. pump, PS and Power brake positions.

However, the stamped steel valve cover on my 76 did have a WELDED on mount for the offset aircleaner housing. If that would help. I don't know when CJ's started with plastic Valve covers with the bolt on mount for the teardrop housings.

You can see it in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
258 valve sover stamped.jpg  

post #6 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
UncleRemis
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I never realized there were clearance problems with power STEERING !!! I had the same air cleaner housing with and without power steering pump attached. Of course a 76 air cleaner housing was a pretty simple piece. No vacuum motors if I recall correctly. Just a TAC connection.

Wonder if he meant power brakes and someone distracted him when searching... I do that sometimes....
added before I saw your second post: Yes, there is a difference. That's why you see the off-set air cleaner and snorkel to the carb on 80s 258 CJs with PS. The brake boosters added length makes the master cylinder hit the large circular air cleaner housings.

It is nuts that definitive photos can't be found anywhere in this day and age. I have a suspicion that people won't believe me and will drive themselves silly searching online.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, I had to go to that setup on my 76 when I added Power brakes. Fortunately the mount for the offset air cleaner housing was already welded onto the valve cover.

One would think the factory service manual for that year might show the optional air cleaner housings. I think ollijeep might have that manual on line.

http://oljeep.com/gw/79_tsm/79_Jeep_TSM.pdf

They might even have a factory parts catalog. You could probably find a part number at least.

post #8 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Uncle,

I'm almost positive there were no differences in air cleaner designs in '79 due to power steering. They were the same design, like the illustration I posted. I'm going on memory of my '79 CJ5 with power steering and manual brakes, here, so take it for what it's worth.

The offset design found on some '80s and up CJs was to address clearance issues with the brakes booster. It didn't have anything to do with power steering.

I think you are looking for the center-mounted design with one vacuum motor for a period correct look.

I hope that helps.

post #9 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
UncleRemis
1979 CJ7 

I have the steel valve cover with the off-set cleaner. It has a single vac housing, so it's early and could be original. I'm hoping it is. It would make my life more simple not to have to hunt down something else.

John, I will do the search for the '79 FSM as you suggest. None of the brochures from the 70's have a photo capturing this, not even the accessory and dealer equipment catalogs. I have also kept photo files of all the original condition 76-80 CJs offered for sale over the past few years and not one had this combination. Easy to find with 304s, but never 258s.

Here's a photo of my set-up (if it goes through)
Attached Images

post #10 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
UncleRemis
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Uncle,

I'm almost positive there were no differences in air cleaner designs in '79 due to power steering. They were the same design, like the illustration I posted. I'm going on memory of my '79 CJ5 with power steering and manual brakes, here, so take it for what it's worth.

The offset design found on some '80s and up CJs was to address clearance issues with the brakes booster. It didn't have anything to do with power steering.

I think you are looking for the center-mounted design with one vacuum motor for a period correct look.

I hope that helps.

Now I understand my mistake and feel like an idiot. I kept saying power steering when I meant power brakes. My apologies.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

So, you are running a brake booster of some sort. In that case, I think you have the correct air cleaner.

Now, whether the booster and air cleaner are original to this CJ, I can't say. Did they offer boosted brakes in '79? If so, then I'd say your air cleaner is also original. If not, then the booster and air cleaner were likely installed by a PO.

The FSM should indicate if boosted brakes were an option in '79.

Matt

post #12 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRemis View Post
Matt, hopefully I understand you correctly. Are you saying the 79 PS set-up on the 258 did not have a brake booster?
What I'm saying is, I don't think PS had anything to do with the brake booster or style of air cleaner housing. My '79 and '81 both had PS, no booster, and the centered air cleaner design.

What I don't know is, if boosted brakes were a factory option in '79. If they were, then it's probable that your booster and air cleaner are original.

Matt

post #13 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
UncleRemis
1979 CJ7 

Exclamation

Quote:
What I'm saying is, I don't think PS had anything to do with the brake booster or style of air cleaner housing. My '79 and '81 both had PS, no booster, and the centered air cleaner design.

What I don't know is, if boosted brakes were a factory option in '79. If they were, then it's probable that your booster and air cleaner are original.

Matt
Again,I sincerely apologize, especially to matt & john. I screwed up this entire topic by saying "power steering" instead of power brakes.

I've tried to correct the typos.

Now to rejoin the conversation; They definitely offered boosted power brakes in the 70's. Many all original 304's have them. I've seen a couple on 258s, the issue is in every case the original air cleaner is long gone, mostly due to carb replacements.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Uncle,

In that case, I'd say your offset air cleaner is original, and rather unique. I haven't seen a offset design with only one vacuum motor.

One way I'd confirm is by taking a peek at the air cleaner bracket that's on the valve cover. Does it look like a factory piece, or something that a PO cobbled together?

Matt

post #15 of 17 Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
UncleRemis
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Uncle,

In that case, I'd say your offset air cleaner is original, and rather unique. I haven't seen a offset design with only one vacuum motor.

One way I'd confirm is by taking a peek at the air cleaner bracket that's on the valve cover. Does it look like a factory piece, or something that a PO cobbled together?

Matt
Thanks. The valve cover mount looks stock to me.

I'm still holding out hope for a factory photo or a definitive original stock example photo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.