'79 Disc brake job... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '79 Disc brake job...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
'79 CJ-7 Levi
1979 CJ7 

'79 Disc brake job...

Hey all! I'm climbing the steep learning curve and have another obstacle to overcome--the front brakes! They're shot (1/4" groove ground in the rotors, for starters). I've been looking around and was wondering if you could give me some advice on doing the job...

First: can I just replace the rotors? Why do I keep finding the only rotors available with hubs? As far as I can tell, the locking hubs on the CJ are fine (may need cleaning and lubing, but they work). How hard is this job, and do I need any special tools (--I've already got to get a hub socket and some snap ring pliers next time I'm in the store). Any reccomendations for parts suppliers?

Thanks a bunch... ;-)

-Chad
Orange '79 CJ-7 Renegade w/blue Levi interior (goes by the name of "Gidget"). 2" lift. 31" BFG Mud Terrains

BTW--I'm looking for CJ full steel doors (any year, no rust). I have a marginal fiberglass hard top and doors to trade or sell (cheap--you have to pick up in SE Connectcut). Any leads appreciated.

SOLD: 1977 CJ7 Renegade Levi "Green Monster"
'79 CJ-7 Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:58 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I also have a 79 CJ7 and have replaced both hubs and rotors. This is a fairly easy job and if memory serves the hubs are about $50 w/bearings and seal and the rotors run about $40 each. There are two possible rotors available - on is thicker than the other and mine took the thinner one. Rotors are definately available separately!

Be sure to check around for the best price on the parts - Some places could easily want double the prices I mentioned. I got my stuff at Border Parts here in San Diego.
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:08 PM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

Hi Chad, me again, LOL.

I tried posting earlier, had part of it typed, then the computer locked up.

What I was going to say, is that (like OldJeepGuy just said), the rotors are available separate from the hubs. The hubs the parts stores are telling you come with the rotors do not include the locking hub mechanism, only the housing attached to the rotor. '77 & '78 (some 78) used the thicker rotors (1 1/8") and '78 (some again) -'86 used the thinner (7/8") rotors. Yours are the thinner, since it is a '79.

The hub socket and snap ring pliers are the only "special" tools you should need, mainly for locking hub disassembly, which, once you start it, you will find to be pretty easy, believe me. You may want to do your front inner & outer wheel bearings, while you are in there, if they haven't been done in a while. VERY SIMPLE to do, once the locking hubs are out. Just check your manual, it's very easy and self-explanatory once you have it apart.

Isn't it great learning on a Jeep? They must be the easiest to learn on (well, CJ's and earlier models, anyway, LOL )
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2002, 10:05 PM   #4
'79 CJ-7 Levi
1979 CJ7 

Eric (sorry for spelling your name wrong in the other post--I've known too many people with too many spellings of that name :-) ),

Thanks (and to OldJeepGuy) for taking the mystique and worry out of the pending project! I feel better already...

It is great learning on these things. I've worked on my family's old '77 Volares and my '95 Neon, but never to this extent. The 2" lift definately makes her easier to work on, too! My (future) father-in-law keeps making comments about "Chad the mechanic" while I'm working away in his driveway... probably since I seem to be having more luck than the last guy to work on it (an engineer and avid Jeep guy himself) and I have a background in Political Science (he calls me a "pencil pusher" most days LOL!). Ah well.. if the shoe fits, right?

Thanks again.

-Chad

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:40 AM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

A degree in Political Science, huh? Man, we could probably have some pretty long talks about politics, then, LOL. I have no degrees in that, I'm an engineer (Civil/Structural), so I guess I am technically a pencil pusher, also. Actually, I am a Project Manager now, so most of my pencil-pushing is over, now I write comments/letters, LOL!

Anyways, I am involved in politics in Town/State. I'm a member of the North Kingstown Republican Town Committee, and also of the Republican National Committee. Unlinke many people out there that complain about politics all the time, I am actually doing something by becoming active. Complaining gets people nowhere, being active won't solve all the problems, but sure helps the cause/your beliefs!

Everyone listening out there? LOL If you choose NOT to take an active role in politics, no matter how "small" or "insignificant" you may think it is, you really have no right to complain all the time. The easiest thing is just to get out and vote!

One of the reasons some of these jokers keep getting elected, is that people don't go out and vote, and the cronies' friends do vote, and vote for them. Then everyone bit*hes when they get elected again. Hell, look how important every individual's vote was this last presidential election! We proved to ourselves that the system CAN work when we try!

Sorry, got carried away, my RANT is done, LOL
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
'79 CJ-7 Levi
1979 CJ7 

My, we have gotten off topic, haven't we.. ;-)

I agree with every single word there, Eric! You and I could certainly have some long conversations (though anyone else listening in might think we were crazy, or worse... LOL). I've recently attempted to make contact with the Groton RTC, but haven't had luck yet... I wrote to a few of the CT legislators a while back trying to get a job in their offices (no luck) and one of them suggested I get a hold of the local RTC to get started in "grass roots" stuff. I've thought about getting into (eventually) state politics and changing a few things.. ;-)

It's funny, before college I always said I hated politics... then I realized what you said--you can bit*h all you want, but you can only change things from the inside!

And when you're done on your soapbox, I'll take over and preach to the masses myself..

-Chad

Unread 04-11-2002, 02:21 PM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

Another Republican! I had a feeling, for some reason, glad to hear it!
Unread 04-12-2002, 02:03 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

DON'T FORGET THE SPINDLE BEARINGS!!!!!!!!!!Unbolt the spindles and put a dab of grease in there.They probably haven't been touched since the factory installed them. By the way, you might have your rotors checked at the local brake shop. Many times they can be turned which may clean them up.Turning cost's about 10 to 15$ per rotor.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2002, 11:24 PM   #9
'79 CJ-7 Levi
1979 CJ7 

Thanks...

If only the rotors could be turned... but one has a NASTY gouge in it. Gotta figure out why before I reassemble it and do the same thing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.