79 CJ7 swap w/93 XJ; XJ components work on a CJ with little or no modification? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
CombatCarlJeep
1979 CJ7 

79 CJ7 swap w/93 XJ; XJ components work on a CJ with little or no modification?

I have had my 79 CJ for about a week and have a list of safety/inexpensive issues that need to be addressed. If you have read my earlier post of this week, you may know that the two items that are on the top of my list are the power brakes and power steering upgrades.

I've been researching the site and found alot of great information on the 95 YJ brake booster and braket swap. I know that the 95 YJ brake booster is superior to earlier YJ brake boosters. I have found a 92 YJ in a local junkyard. I thinking about using the MC, booster and bracket off that YJ. I can get all the brake stuff and most the stuff for the PS upgrade for around $200.

Here is the deal though, I have 93 XJ sitting outside ready for the junk yard. Should or could I pull the brakes and steering components off the XJ than sell the XJ to the junkyard? Will the XJ components work on a CJ with little or no modification?

FYI... I plan to use my CJ7 as 2nd daily driver, and go no bigger than 31 inch tires. Also, I live one mile from work and bike to work on most days. The CJ will more than likey 15 miles a day 3 days a week.

What are your thoughts. Thanks for you help.

Last edited by CombatCarlJeep; 07-18-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: didn't proof read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 AM
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

XJ's and ZJ's are perhaps the worst donor vehicles for CJ's. Only things they are good for are engines and transmissions.

This is how NAXJA Midwest Chapter elected officials like to treat their resident users and former multi-year supporters.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
post #3 of 3 Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
CombatCarlJeep
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the info...

Tags
brake booster , brakes , master cylinder , power steering , steering , steering improvement , steering linkage , steering swap , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.