79 CJ7 swap w/93 XJ; XJ components work on a CJ with little or no modification? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 79 CJ7 swap w/93 XJ; XJ components work on a CJ with little or no modification?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
CombatCarlJeep
1979 CJ7 

79 CJ7 swap w/93 XJ; XJ components work on a CJ with little or no modification?

I have had my 79 CJ for about a week and have a list of safety/inexpensive issues that need to be addressed. If you have read my earlier post of this week, you may know that the two items that are on the top of my list are the power brakes and power steering upgrades.

I've been researching the site and found alot of great information on the 95 YJ brake booster and braket swap. I know that the 95 YJ brake booster is superior to earlier YJ brake boosters. I have found a 92 YJ in a local junkyard. I thinking about using the MC, booster and bracket off that YJ. I can get all the brake stuff and most the stuff for the PS upgrade for around $200.

Here is the deal though, I have 93 XJ sitting outside ready for the junk yard. Should or could I pull the brakes and steering components off the XJ than sell the XJ to the junkyard? Will the XJ components work on a CJ with little or no modification?

FYI... I plan to use my CJ7 as 2nd daily driver, and go no bigger than 31 inch tires. Also, I live one mile from work and bike to work on most days. The CJ will more than likey 15 miles a day 3 days a week.

What are your thoughts. Thanks for you help.

Last edited by CombatCarlJeep; 07-18-2010 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: didn't proof read
CombatCarlJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

XJ's and ZJ's are perhaps the worst donor vehicles for CJ's. Only things they are good for are engines and transmissions.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
CombatCarlJeep
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the info...
CombatCarlJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake booster , brakes , master cylinder , power steering , steering , steering improvement , steering linkage , steering swap , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.