79 CJ7 Start issues! HELP!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 79 CJ7 Start issues! HELP!?!?

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Dougs79cj7
1979 CJ7 

79 CJ7 Start issues! HELP!?!?

I purchased my 79 cj7 and have LOVED it and all the work that comes with it! I replaced the alternator due to a squeeking and high voltage readings (I think the regulator was going out). Before replacing it, the ground wire to my battery had gotten so hot that it melted the terminal for the cable, so I decided it was time. With the starter replaced, no squeeking or melting terminals! The volts still read a little high, but not more than 16. It is important to note that the previous owner installed a battery cut-off switch. Now all the sudden, the jeep will not crank. No noise from starter at all, volts read 12, drop a little (to 10) when attempting to crank. I thought the heat mayt have damaged starter relay, so that was replaced as well with no change.

The only changes that were made was the alt install, and then, the same day, i noted the horn stopped working. Its hot wire is to the relay (battery) post. any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dougs79cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Dougs79cj7
1979 CJ7 

Ok, I may seem like an idiot answering my own question, but I have found the solution!! I decided to be a man about it and put the answer on here in case someone else is in the situation later. . . LOOSE WIRE ON NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH! I know, I should have check there first, but now whoever reads this can learn from my mistake!
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
cwsenn
1979 CJ7 

Is your NSS on the steering column or the transmission?
cwsenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Dougs79cj7
1979 CJ7 

It is on the column under the dash, topside and tricky work your hand to, but fairly simple.

Tags
cj7 , start problems , starter issue , starter relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.