'79 CJ7 Engine electrical questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '79 CJ7 Engine electrical questions

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

'79 CJ7 Engine electrical questions

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to jeeps and I'm on the tail end of a full body off restoration. I have hit a few problems rewiring the engine electrical. Probably some very stupid questions, but I have a few extra wires left over. First of all, what hooks up to the starter and from where? I am having troubles with the Haynes diagram. Second, I have a fiberglass tub, and the negative battery terminal grounds to the engine block. Do I need to now ground the block to the frame? Any help would be appreciated, I can't for the life of me figure it out. Probably an important note, I have a rebuilt 258.
Thanks

Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Here's the wiring diagram you need. Save this to a file, and print it up. You can never have too many GOOD grounds. To the block, to the frame, to the grill shell, dash, etc....

Unread 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

This diagram is clearer than the haynes, but still serves to confuse the hell out of me.
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
paulsalchow
1985 CJ7 

Yea these get me every time,the best way is not to look at the whole picture but to pick out the starter find the wires and use a hi-liter pen to trace where they go. computer pictures are a pain to look at but the other thing i do is save these to a flash drive,take it to a print house and have them do a small run of 10 at 24 inches by 48 inches work for good for wiring diagrams of this size.Way back when i used full scale drawing like these to build a complete wiring harness, so the bigger the better and it's easier on the eye's.

Last edited by paulsalchow; 04-23-2012 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: spelling but still missed something somewhere.
paulsalchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

That's a good idea. I should go and get a huge copy printed. Thanks for the tips on here
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Probably more than just grounding the frame.
Any electrical device mounted on a fiberglass part needs an individual ground. Nicest is to have a single ground point and run all grounds to this point.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , electrical , ground , starter , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.