79 cj7 carb replacing motor craft 2100 thoughts and recommendations - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
rhoj
1979 CJ7 

79 cj7 carb replacing motor craft 2100 thoughts and recommendations

TX for help soooooooooooooo far on carb issues !!!!!! PROBABLY choke issues

Decided to either have carb professionally rebuilt or get a new one.

Votes or rebuild?????

OR

Which brand new carb to go with??????

ALL positive comments are appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TXS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Don't you already have a thread on this subject?

Just rebuild the carb yourself. A 2100 is about as simple as they get.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 AM
OrangeCJ-5
1978 CJ5 

I sent mine out to get rebuilt. It had slop in the throttle shaft. Very happy with the result and it has a lifetime guarantee. I had to pay for shipping it back to them once for a driveability issue which was about the same as a the cost of a rebuild kit. They found rust in the fuel bowl and still did not charge me.

Like Matt said there isn't any reason you cannot do it yourself if it just needs a good cleaning and freshening up.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
rhoj
1979 CJ7 

yes I do and I didn thank folks for previuos thoughts but looking for recomendations on carb types or rebuild , I rebuilt carb still runnng bad!!!! like you said probably choke problem.

TXagain
post #5 of 16 Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoj
yes I do and I didn thank folks for previuos thoughts but looking for recomendations on carb types or rebuild , I rebuilt carb still runnng bad!!!! like you said probably choke problem. TXagain
Have you confirmed the choke isn't working, or tried adjusting it?

Matt

post #6 of 16 Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 AM
gunsanddaisys
1979 CJ7 

When you say running bad, what all does that imply? Is it just taking too long for the idle to drop, or is there more to it?
post #7 of 16 Old 08-16-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
rhoj
1979 CJ7 

More info----I rebuilt the carb a tad bit ago.
Just yesterday I sprayed the choke mechanism it's moving very freely, openned up the springbox on carb it's a ok,

It takes at least 5 minutes of somewhat faster running (perhaps 1200 rpm) keeping foot on gas pedal for it to stay running once I take my foot off the pedal. It's a heat activated choke so I am guessing that something is wrong with that????

As best as I can tell I do not have any vacuum leaks

It wants to stall after a short run and stopping (VERY local drive mainly on my dead end street)

I have adjusted the air flow needle valves and the timing is dead on

Thanks for encouragement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 16 Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

On a cold engine, one pump of the throttle should close the choke. From there, you should not have to use the throttle to start. Once the engine fires, the choke should open slightly, about 3/16", and the engine should idle at a higher than normal RPM for a few minutes, as the choke gradually opens all the way. After that, another pump on the throttle should disengage the choke and allow the idle to drop to normal RPM.

Matt

post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2017, 08:02 AM
gunsanddaisys
1979 CJ7 

So I'm assuming the short drive that ends in a stall is after the engine is fully warm, correct? If not, let it warm up completely before we start trying to diagnose things. Your choke butterfly needs to be completely vertical and open to begin tuning.

First off, what rpm are you idling at when warm? How many turns in is your curb idle screw? How many turns out are your idle mixture screws?

Secondly, how well did you clean the carb. A rough or lack of idle can be caused by clogged or blocked idle passages in the venturi body.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 AM
HillbillyCJ7

Obviously if you rebuilt it and its still running bad, then there's something still wrong. But is it running rich or lean? Do you know how to read plugs? What about post pictures?

Figure that out 1st, then go from there.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
rhoj
1979 CJ7 

Guys thanks for all the help I do have a rather basic question about my carb. PLEASE NO LAUGHING!!!!! how do i tell if the choke is electic or heat activated???

There is a housing on the left side of the jeep with a small spring coil inside which leads me to beleive it's "climatic controlled" HOWEVER there is an electric connection that goes to the housing which confusses me??????

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO which is it???? THANKS
post #12 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 11:22 AM
gunsanddaisys
1979 CJ7 

The electric connection on the black housing means it's probably electric, however hot air activated chokes also used some electrical assist. To be sure it's not hot air controlled, check for some steel hard lines running from the choke body and to a manifold. If those line are present and connected, it's a hot air operated choke. If not, it's fully electrically operated.
macbelling likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here are the steel lines Guns is talking about. If you have them, then it's a hot air choke, which was common on AMC V8s.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
089.jpg  

post #14 of 16 Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
rhoj
1979 CJ7 

yes lines are present and only 1 electrical connection sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I am going with HOT AIR NOT fully electical

TX !!!!!
post #15 of 16 Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You still haven't said how the choke is working now. Does it work like I described above, or not?

We need more information, if we're going to help you.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.