79 cj7 brake issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 79 cj7 brake issues

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 03-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #1
Southern Comfort

79 cj7 brake issues

fellas...lookin for some direction--80 cj 7 w/ power brakes--

the right rear brake (drum) will lock up after driving around for a while--have new brakes all the way around, new cylinders, lines/hoses, springs, adjusters, and drums--was originally thinking that the rear line was too close to the header and the heat was causing it to expand, but that would cause both of the rears to lock up correct? have exhaused my wits on this one--

thanks in advance!!

Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
bernie

My initial thought--

I would jack up the right rear and feel for any drag, then try readjusting the adjuster ("star wheel").
The goal--to loosen the adjustment up a little, then let it adjust automatically (by backing up and hitting the brakes)
Remember--until they adjust up, your brakes will be poor!
Recheck the parking brake cable adjustment, too.
If that doesn't help, pull the drum and make sure shoes move freely, and that springs pull them in all the way.
Also, check that adjuster is assembled properly.
Lastly, the wheel cylinder could be hanging up--check to see that it will compress (open the bleeder, and squeeze shoes together).
You could have something else, but hard to say without being there.
I hope that helps, and anyone else feel free to agree or disagree--brakes are nothing to play with.

Remember, of course, to check brakes before crashing into something :- (
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

My brakes did that after I installed new brake shoes - I had installed one assembly reversed and it would self-adjust every time I hit the brakes...
Unread 03-14-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
Southern Comfort

a little update---

this all seems to be heat related--after driving around for a while it will engage, not lock up it is still driveable but the drum is VERY hot--after it cools off, it will spin just like normal--you can also bleed the brakes and it will not have that problem as well--fooled around with this thing for several hours today to no avail--

my adjusters can only go in one way...otherwise the star wheel will not come in contact with anything, so it cannot adjust itself--

any other thoughts or ideas will be more than appreciated--

thanks
Unread 03-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
Jwhit

Well I know what your dealing with because I have had a similar problem. Turns out that those rear drum brakes can be a bit of a pain. My issue was actually nothing to do with the adjuster or the cylander. I had to get new ebrake cables. Mine were so rusted out you would press down on the ebrake and it would lock up and not let off. Then you go drive around for a while and you dont know why the engine is roaring so loud. next thing you smell a sent like someing burning from the back.. well yeah i had to get new drums. The key to drum brakes is making sure everything moves and is installed right. the ebrake line needs to be able to release easy. All the little parts need to be in there correctly. Somehow I think you got someting jamming up in there. either your ebrake(thats what i would bet on) or you have the spring installed wrong or something.
Best of luck.
~Josh
'85 CJ7 Rebuilt 258/T5/Dana 300 Mopar MPI fuel Injuection kit - 35" Pro Comp X-Terrains,one piece rear axle, 4.56 gears, Tracloc rear, Detroit Nospin front, 2" Full-Traction Shackle Reversal, 1" body lift, 2.5" Sky Jacker lift

'05 Jeep "Willys" ~stock... daily driver
Jwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 05:33 AM   #6
Southern Comfort

dug into this thing again--i did need to replace the e-brake line, as it was rusted to hell and back, but...it did not fix the problem--i have gone over the brake system again and still do not see anything jumping out at me--i brought one of my buddies over who is a mechanic to see if i was overlooking something--he could not find anything either--when hot it will not roll down the driveway, when cold push the clutch in and it immediately starts to move--this thing is driving me up the wall because ti was gorgeous outside this past weekend and i was tinkering in the garage--anybody with ANY other thoughts out there feel free to chime in--

thanks
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:56 PM   #7
Dtray332

Is there any chance that you have a wheel bearing that has gone bad?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.