79 CJ5 Driver's Side Tail Light Acting Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 79 CJ5 Driver's Side Tail Light Acting Up

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

79 CJ5 Driver's Side Tail Light Acting Up

I had issues with the driverís side trail light since I purchased my jeep. If the jeep sits for a day or more, the passenger stop/taillight works fine. Some times when I turn on the light the brake will magically begin to work. The blinker and the running bulbs have always worked fine on the driverís side. It is just the brake light that is a mystery.

I completely rewired the taillight wiring harness from the fuse box back to the taillights. I have even grounded the housing to the rear cross member. Last night I even ran a wire straight from the ground point to the negative post on the battery and it was still hit or miss.

I checked for current at the taillight harness when the light was not working and there was none. Could it be the brake switch? Or does the brake switch only send out one signal?

lsukevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

Anybody? Please
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Did you put on new plugs and sockets when you rewired it?
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

Yes i did install new plugs and sockets. I am having the same problems I did before I did the re wire.
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
jakwi
1986 CJ7 

Not sure about the CJ5 but I suspect it is the same as a cj7. I had a similar problem and it turned out my turn signal switch wasn't centering well. Both the turn signal and brake light are the same element in the bulb and run through that switch. Try working the turn signal switch back and forth while pressing the brake pedal. With mine there is a sweet-spot that it seems to work in. I haven't gotten around to replacing my turn signal switch.
jakwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

My turn signal does not reset after i turn. It is worth a shot. last night i walked into the garage and stepped on the brake, passenger works but not driver's side. I tired turning the lights on and off and still no light when i step on the brake pedal.
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

jakwi, i owe you one. It is the turn signal swtich. like you mentioned, it does have a sweet spot that the brake lights will work. looks like i have a project for the weekend now.
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
jakwi
1986 CJ7 

Thats great! It sounded exactly like what I had seen on mine. When you fix yours let me know how it goes. I dont know when ill get the chance to fix mine. I'm not sure, but I suspect you might be able to just clean the contacts rather than replacing the switch. It depends on whether the switch is sealed or not.
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

the switch was prety worn out. The new one did fix the problem. now all of the turn signals and brake lights work.
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
jakwi
1986 CJ7 

That's great, I'm glad it worked out. I need to get my but in gear and repair mine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.