'79 cj-7 general info-help the newbie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '79 cj-7 general info-help the newbie

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
WESTS_JEEPS
1979 CJ7 

'79 cj-7 general info-help the newbie

I recently aquired a 1979 jeep. I don't know much about jeeps, but doing research on this site and speaking to other jeep lovers i'm learning about mine. It is white with the renegade sticker on the hood and down the side. It has the stainless side body molding below the doors. The rear seat is tan fabric and has buttons on it, but they don't have "levi's" written on them. The front seats are tan vinyl without buttons. The dash pad is the tan "denim" looking dash.
It has a good running 304 v-8 with auto transmission. And a vacuum switch in the glove compartment for something to do with the 4wd. It also has air conditioning. As i've worked on the jeep i've found blue paint under the white. I checked the fender tag- the code was 9e- wedgewood blue- was this a rare color? The tag also has 21 9e 3gk- what do these numbers mean?
It spent most of it's life at the beach, so the tub is rusted. I found another tub in good condition, but it's a '83 with the manual trans.hole. The roll bars are different. Which are better and a more valueable combination as far as color, interior, roll bar, and will the manual trans tub lower the value of the auto trans chassis? Thank you for your help. I'll post pictures soon.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Last edited by WESTS_JEEPS; 03-02-2014 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: PICTURES
WESTS_JEEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
WESTS_JEEPS
1979 CJ7 

....How rare is a Wedgewood Blue Renegade, anybody???
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

It is not that rare. The seats if original and in good condition which should be the Levi seats are prob worth more than any other part you have.

I rebuilt one and it was clean, no rust, 304, Auto all stock which build sheet from dealer with winch and everything still there and working. All I did was a new paint and decals and replaced gaskets, and a new Solenoid ( bought for 3k cause it didn't start.) 17 dollars for a solenoid and a paint sold for 9K. So just avg. Seat where Nice I got an offer of 1500 for them after I sold the jeep.
crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

I have a 1979 Wedgewood Blue CJ7 but I don't consider it rare. Granted I don't see any others the same color but to me it is no more rarer than any other color. I think condition is the key and that one is in poor condition. Rust like that on the dash to me means it is barely holding together in all other places. I would be curious to the condition of the rear part of the frame.
ADDZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I don't think "value" is something you need to be too concerned with on that Jeep, unless you're planning an extensive and costly restore.

You should get it running reliably, and enjoy it, IMO.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Brayyx322
1979 CJ7 

I agree with Matt. Get it running and tear up the roads, you gotta how off the "rare" goods.
Brayyx322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
WESTS_JEEPS
1979 CJ7 

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm new to Jeeps and don't now much about what the Jeep community thinks a valuable CJ-7 should be. I have already purchased a complete tub from a rust free '83 donor to breathe new life into this Renegade. I don't know if I want to go with the blue yet, if it would increase the value it would help with the decision. Also if I install the clock, tach, and missing A/C components would that help?
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The newer roll bar is better in my mind and having all the parts working is also a good thing but I think lack of rust is the largest 'value' item.

I also believe the more stock for configuration, the higher the value thinking on the line that most vehicles are driven to the limits if their modifications so a highly modified rig has usually been driven Hard or at least harder than a stock rig and will have more wear on it. From larger wheels stressing all the suspension and steering parts if nothing else.

The tubs are the same for auto or standard, your tub just has a filler plate bolted over the hole for the shifter that you can likely just move over.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTS_JEEPS View Post
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm new to Jeeps and don't now much about what the Jeep community thinks a valuable CJ-7 should be. I have already purchased a complete tub from a rust free '83 donor to breathe new life into this Renegade. I don't know if I want to go with the blue yet, if it would increase the value it would help with the decision. Also if I install the clock, tach, and missing A/C components would that help?
As a rule of thumb, you will never recoup what you invest in an old CJ, so the Fast & Loud-type fix/flips don't really apply.

Again, I'd quit worrying about value. Just do what pleases you, and enjoy it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
WESTS_JEEPS
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Mike and Matt for your help. I'm not trying to make a "Fast and Loud flip", just a vehicle that other Jeep guys will look at and not think its a piece of junk.
My family is full of mechanics, my oldest brother does high end restorations. He has a couple of nice muscle cars, my dad just finished a beautiful old Plymouth. But no one in my family has Jeeps, and my wife loves Jeeps. So I want something both Mike and Matt, as well as my dad and brothers will think is sweet. And a CJ-7 I can be proud to take my wife to the Outer Banks on... (maybe she will wear her bikini :-)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.