'79 CJ-5 build "mexicano" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '79 CJ-5 build "mexicano"

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #46
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
If I'm looking at you picture right, the arrow is pointing at the ORIGINAL spring pad. You want to keep that.
no its pointing to the black cylinder running across, wont that be directly in the way of the springs?

TexasJeepyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #47
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Looks like a steering stabilizer? Remove it. You can mount one in the normal fashion after you are done if you wish. However if you get this correct you will not need a steering stabilizer.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #48
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Your Tierod and drag links should look like either of these when you are done.
The one on the left is stock, the right the tie rod and drag link have been flipped. If you go with 3" or more of lift I'd flip them.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #49
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

I have a 2.5" lift and flipped em. It made more room for a thicker diff cover and I was able to run a stock pitman arm as well. Tracks nice now and zero bumpy steer.

May not be relevant right now though.

Here are some pics of my front end just to show you some angles, they are over a few months and have some changes shown too. I could scare up some more if you need a particular area.

Flipped:

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #50
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

ok i think i've learned enough to start taking things apart. posting pics tomorrow as i go along. wont take a single nut off without taking a pic of it!
yall have been so much help!
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #51
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

hey guys! i knocked out all that extra crap and converted it into SUA in just a day. only problem is, those steering bars running across, are in conflict with the springs. theyre about 3/8 of an inch ontop of the springs. however i took them out and flipped them so that way theyd be ontop of that little thing where theyre supposed to go. that gave about a 4 in clearance. BUT
the bars have screws on the end that are kind of in a cone shape. and flipping them would mean that when the bolt gets a little fatter towards the middle, it is stopped by the tiny hole where it used to be.
i know this all probably wont make sense cause idk any of the names of these things yet (atleast in english)
but ill post pics up soon!
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #52
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

if i didnt make it clear about

the bolt with a slight cone shape wont fit into the hole i just took it out of. the hole also goes from smaller to larger.

smaller being on top. larger on the bottom.

its that bar with a rubber cap on the ends about an inch and a half in diameter, and is in a hemisphere
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #53
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Pictures are needed to help you.
LG
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #54
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

sounds like you are talking about the tie rod ends. You need to do some searching on a "tie rod flip kit". This is one place that sells them. http://www.goferitoffroad.com/ and another http://ok4wd.com/rock-equipment-tie-...ip-sleeve.html.

Please post photos of current work. :-)
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #55
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

yeah it was the tie rod ends! im looking into those little sleeves that go into them to flip them.

my dad was like "aw man now we gotta take apart where the wheel goes and take off that member and cut it off with the torch and weld it back on and you arent gonna know how to do it right" and im like "chill out old man. JeepForum knows what they're doing."

he's pretty impressed with what i've learned and done to el Mexicano on my own so far.
to update yall,

i took off both axles, cut everything the PO put on, then converted it back to SUA
now the jeep is sitting way lower; but ill just put a lift and some shims on it later.
only thing holding me back from driving it is
1. the tie rods interfere with the springs---- thatll be fixed by the tie rod flip kit chew toy showed me!

2. new spring to axle plates for the rear axle because the old ones were modded and cracked and they smelled like cow manure
and didnt fit.

oh and i gotta purge the brakes cause i kind of spilled some brake fluid lol thank yall so much! i cant wait to show you guys the pics.
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #56
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

You shouldn't be getting interference between the spring and the drag link (or tie rod as you call it). The drag link goes from the steering box to the knuckle, the tie rod "ties" the two knuckles together.
Unless it has a dropped pitman arm on it????? A dropped pitman arm with no lift, will put the drag link down far enough to contact the springs.
Your springs don't look to have any lift to them, and I think doing a tie rod flip is just getting into unnecessary work. You may be taking the wrong route to fix a problem.

Post up some new pictures.They will help a lot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.