78 CJ7 stalled while driving, now it won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 78 CJ7 stalled while driving, now it won't start

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
bogbear
1978 CJ7 

78 CJ7 stalled while driving, now it won't start

Driving down the road CJ stalled, couldn't get it started. Cranks but will not start, replaced the following:

Coil
ICM
SOLENOID

I look down the in carb, and I believe I only see one stream of fuel, could this be a carb issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks

bogbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

If you pull a plug, do you get a spark?

When that happened to me, I had fuel getting to the carb, so I pulled the plug, and no spark. So, tracing backwards I discovered that a tiny wire from the ignition box to the distro managed to break loose.

Fixed that, and problem is gone, though could be lots of different things.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Have you changed your fuel filter by the carb? I look for simple to hard before just tossing money at it. What where the weather conditions when it happened? couple days before it happened as well.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

X2

Mine had the same symptoms one time and replacing the fuel filter fixed it right up. Cheapest route
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbear View Post
Driving down the road CJ stalled, couldn't get it started. Cranks but will not start, replaced the following:

Coil
ICM
SOLENOID

I look down the in carb, and I believe I only see one stream of fuel, could this be a carb issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks
I hate to sound like a broken record, but did you start with the simple things...

Like checking the Ignition fuse?
Do the gauges read correctly (or move) when you turn the key switch to the 'Run' position?

If you get the gauges to move, then it's probably not the ignition switch or the fuse.

If you get yourself a $6 test light
(looks like an ice pick with a bulb in the handle and a wire coming out of the handle)
Connect to the battery NEGATIVE terminal, and test (probe) the light on the battery positive terminal...

Once you know what a 'Bright' light looks like (and you have confirmed you have a good ground connection and the bulb is working)
Then take the coil wire connector off the ignition coil.

Probe the RED wire terminal of the CONNECTOR with the key in the 'RUN' position.
You should get a 'DIM' light.

Probe the same 'Red' wire terminal while someone CRANKS the engine (Starter) and you should get a 'Bright' light.

If you don't get the bright and dim lights, there there is an issue with getting power to the ignition coil and probably the module also.
-------------------------------

Now, connect the clip of the test light to the POSITVE side of the battery, And probe the NEGATIVE battery terminal.
You should get a 'BRIGHT' light.

This time, probe the GREEN wire terminal of the ignition coil connector.

You should get a BRIGHT light with the ignition switch in the 'RUN' position.

When you crank the engine, you should get a FLASHING light as someone cranks the engine over.

*IF* you do not get the 'Bright' and Flashing lights,
You have a bad ignition module,
Bad ground from distributor to ignition module,
Or you have a bad wire between coil connector and ignition module (Green wire).

*IF* you get 'Bright' and 'Flashing' lights,
Then you are going to need to do some more testing, Probably testing the distributor 'Stator' ("Trigger") for resistance, and that means a Multi-Meter or taking it off and into the parts store so they can test it.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
mcktiger
2006 TJ Wrangler 

pull the dizzy cap make sure the rotor is spinning
Unread 02-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
bogbear
1978 CJ7 

Turns out to be the connector on the distributor lead wire is bad. Does anyone know if you can buy just the lead or am I looking at buying a whole distributor?
bogbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.