78 CJ7 258 Engine Questions! (Lots of PICS!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 78 CJ7 258 Engine Questions! (Lots of PICS!)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
78RenegadeCJ7
1978 CJ7 

78 CJ7 258 Engine Questions! (Lots of PICS!)

Im new to CJs, first time CJ owner I should say. I drive a built XJ and such so I know a good bit about those. Bought this CJ and drove it home. Just now getting around to fixing some stuff and had a couple of questions and concerns regarding the engine. Its the single barrel carb and looks to be stock, I dont know much about them nor what a factory fresh cj engine looked like either. Anyway here is the engine bay....

My first concern is the PCV grommet and valve, ordered one from NAPA and it is there waiting on me, but does it go straight to the carb and thats it?

2nd question....WHERE IS THIS SUPPOSE TO GO?

3rd question is this suppose to be pinched off like this? i dont know what it is called

4th question is this suppose to go somewhere or just leave it plugged?

5th question.. what would mount here? another carb?

6th question the thing in my hand by my finger? is it suppose to be cut off?

7th question... where does this line from the diff suppose to go?

8th and final question... would you say this is the stock breather? and where does the round end clamp looking thing suppose to sit?

78RenegadeCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Whoo boy, you been bubbafied!

1. Yes, the PCV valve goes to a manifold vacuum source on the carb. The other side goes to you canister purge port.

2. That part will plug into your air filter housing. Well, maybe not the one you have, but the OEM housing anyway.

3. That's your air injection tubes, part of the original emissions equipment on your CJ. A previous owner bisected and pinched those. If you're in an emissions-free area, I'd leave it as is and focus on some other aspects of your engine for the moment.

4. Dunno, but I'm guessing it's been bubbafied.

5. That's a mount for your throttle control bracket. It's just a bracket that helped align your throttle cable to the carb, so it was a straight pull when you hit the gas.

6. I think that's also part of your air injection system...or maybe EGR. Not supposed to be wide open, but chances are it's been hacked somewhere else to compensate. More info from other members soon.

7. That connects to the top bolt securing your radiator to the grill. It should have a clip on it that will allow you to tack it under the bolt.

8. Could be. That ring connects to a duct that collects hot air from around your exhaust manifold. Its purpose is to provide warm air during warm up when the environmental air isn't warm enough. There's probably a vacuum source on the other side that closes the flapper when your engine is warm enough, at which point you'll revert to cold environmental air. The engine runs best when the air temp/engine temp is in harmony and the fuel vaporizes effectively. Not too cold so it pools, and not so hot that it's too vaporized.

Good luck, you ain't the first who's had to tackle this sort of hack job
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I got tired of my engine compartment. I figured on my cj7 since I have a 1976 vin tag on the firewall that I would snatch that 1983 computer and emisssions out. I left the air tubes that connect to the air cleaner. a before and after of what my engine compartment looks like after a little over a month of owner ship.
img_0055.jpg   engine.jpg  
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

Lookin' good, keep it up. I can't wait to rip my front end apart to clean things up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.