Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

78 cj5 - suspension or body lift?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  roboto65 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

just picked up a 78 cj5 a few months ago and have been slowly fixing it up for the hot summers in Texas. Although this vehicle is not a daily driver, the majority of miles will be on the pavement, with occasional trail driving whenever I can make it up to the ranch. I've noticed the jeep lean and near flat leaf springs on the rear...it rides pretty rough right now over bumps.

Question is, what sort of suspension should I get? I would like to run 31'' tires, as I've heard 33's and up require re-gearing, are sluggish while "taking off" and are difficult slowing down with the stock drum brake setup.

Should I go with a stock suspension replacement with 31'' tires or add some lift? Body lift or suspension lift? Max lift I would want to go is 2 inches with this short wheel base and narrow axles. I can handle a few bumps but looking to smooth it out a bit if at all possible.

the specs:
1978 cj-5
232 i6

thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Body lift will do nothing for the ride and could potentially worsen the "Jeep lean". Typically people lift their Jeeps to accommodate larger tires. You are not trying for anything that the stock can't handle (i.e. <31"). I would suggest that you play with your air pressure first (I run at 26 psi in back and 28 out front) to see if you can improve the ride. You should plan on spending at least a $1,000 for a quality lift and most people rave about the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift for its improvement in ride. I would be concerned however that you will be disappointed even with that since the good 'ol Texas road system with concrete and expansion joints has to be hell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.