'78 Cj5: a few questions while I wait for parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '78 Cj5: a few questions while I wait for parts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

'78 Cj5: a few questions while I wait for parts

Made a little progress on the newly acquired '78. Got the new tank in, the MC 2150 rebuilt and reinstalled, some wiring redone on the tail/brake lights and thought I was to actually put a few miles on her. Nope.

Topped the thoroughly rusty radiator off and let her come up to temp, and watched the water pour back out from the water pump and several spots in the radiator. So radiator is at repair shop and water pump will be here Monday.

So in the meantime, a few questions....

1. Found several places that do a complete bolt kit for the 304, but I just want to replace the eleven bolts to the water pump right now. Anyone know of some place that sells just this kit.

2. Fuel lines. The metal lines run up to bottom of the firewall, and then are soft line from there: over 3' feet each of supply and return lines. Is this a stock setup ? Just curious as I am going to run some hard lines where I can: that is just way too much unsecured soft fuel line for me.

3. Air injection system. When I removed the smog pump and the other hundred items attached to the water pump, it didn't have the belt to it and probably doesn't work. At the top of the manifold tubes, is that a check valve ? I assume to prevent exhaust from back flowing through the emissions system ? If I remove the hoses from it, can I just leave the manifold tubes/check valve and run it this way ? Really don't want to try to remove the tubes based on what I read on here. (I would just test this theory, but have the radiator, water pump, PS Pump, etc removed)

Thanks in advance for any help !! This site is full of info: have read close to 400 back pages. I read and bookmark a few a day !

Unread 09-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

1. try local auto parts or hardware store for those bolts. Make sure you know the size and thread.

2.Stock with the mechanical fuel pump the hard lines are right next to it with a small section of rubber. The hard line then goes to the fuel filter with small sections of rubber.

Im not sure what part your talking about on 3.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
1. try local auto parts or hardware store for those bolts. Make sure you know the size and thread.

2.Stock with the mechanical fuel pump the hard lines are right next to it with a small section of rubber. The hard line then goes to the fuel filter with small sections of rubber.

Im not sure what part your talking about on 3.
Thanks. Hardware selection in town sucks: was hoping for a pre-sized kit available.

I will make up some fuel lines and replace as much soft line as possible.

The pic below shows what I think is a check valve on top of the manifold tubes. No problem: as soon as I get the water pump and radiator back in, I can see whether it stops any exhaust back flow. Just thought someone might know.

Unread 09-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

1. I'd recommend Totally Stainless. They sell bolt packages by engine component. I used there high strength stainless steel bolts, which are stronger than grade 8.

2. Already answered.

3. That is the diverter valve for your air pump system. It allows excess pressure from the pump to be released to the atmosphere, mostly during rapid deceleration. I do not think it will function as a reverse check valve. I think your best bet is to remove the air injection manifold and plug the bolt holes in the intake.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Thanks, Matt. I'll check the link out.
Unread 09-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGyrene View Post
Thanks. Hardware selection in town sucks: was hoping for a pre-sized kit available.
That sucks. I have a few stores to pick from a local mom and pop shop seems to have the biggest selection of hardware and will even special order me some if I buy a box. Fastenal and napa have stores a couple miles from me.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Just wanted to say thanks to Matt ! Called Totally Stainless and they were happy to just send me the kit for the water pump. GREAT customer service ! I will be a repeat customer as this project goes forward.
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGyrene View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to Matt ! Called Totally Stainless and they were happy to just send me the kit for the water pump. GREAT customer service ! I will be a repeat customer as this project goes forward.
They are a quality business. I ordered their entire AMC V8 engine bolt kit for my 360. The bolts came individually vacuum packaged and labeled per engine component, which made assembly a breeze, and every bolt fit exactly as it should.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yes, Totally Stainless is a good company to deal with and their engine kits are well put together in either stock type Indented Hex Head bolts, Allen Head, Button Head, 6 and 12 point Hex Head which are the better than grade 8 or ARP type hardware. I've gotten a many item from them in stainless to replace OEM hardware that corroded beyond use.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Yep. I will be ordering from them again. $24.00 (+shipping) for the 11 stainless bolts, priority mail, and I didn't have to leave the shop ! Doesn't get any better than that !

On another note, I treated what little rust there was on the floor boards, then stopped by the local paint shop today and asked them if they could look up & match AMC 7B (Mocha Brown Metallic). Mixed me two rattle cans in about 10 minutes ! Sweet ! The guys at Wholesale Motive rock. Was going to go with some kind of bed liner, decided to paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.