78 CJ5 Electrical Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 78 CJ5 Electrical Woes

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
OrangeCrush79
1979 CJ5 

78 CJ5 Electrical Woes

Back Story: couldn't turn the motor off with the ignition switch, finally gave the key a slight turn to engage starter while motor was running and it killed it. Tried re-starting and would start / run for approx. 5 - 10 seconds then die on it's own. Wasn't like it was running out of gas, was like I was turning off the ignition. Died 1/4 mile down the road = sat there for a couple of minutes trying to start it. Noticed / smelled burning under the hood. Lifted hood and noticed wire loom (shown in photo) was melting / burning. Unwrapped wires and tried to re-start. Started and was able to get it home approx. 2 miles down the road. Was lucky I wasn't far from home. Could someone tell me what the wires shown in photo go to and if I can re-splice what the P.O. has done here? Appears that there is a "pig-tail" from the starter selenoid to the main wire loom going into the fire-wall fuse panel. The wire next to the hand in the photo is the one that was burning against the valve cover. Assuming this is a wire that tells the motor to start / stop running and was shorted out? Facts : 78 CJ5, 258, all stock, no aftermarket accessories. Appears that there is a wire going from the firewall fuse panel to the unit (sorry don't know what it is) above the hand in photo, then to the wire loom then to the alternator. Is this necessary? Thanks in advance to any input from those way brighter than myself. Best,

photo.jpg

OrangeCrush79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

Click this link, download the PDF file and blow it up to make it easier to read. it will answer all of your questions:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Jeep-...grams-1978.htm
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.