78 Cj5 232 running probs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 78 Cj5 232 running probs

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
biggsammy13

78 Cj5 232 running probs

Hey guys/gals,
First time poster here and new cj-5 owner, Woohoo!!

78 cj5 232 i6 - 1bbl carb

When I purchased the PO said it needed a new carb. But at the time (2months ago) it drove around well (up to 45-50...not much more). Now it dies while driving and won't fire back up. Seems like I'm getting too much air and its choking it out without getting enough fuel.

-replaced fuel filter and air filter

Didn't help.

Disconnected fuel filter and turned the key over, the fuel line didn't push out any gas at the disconnect. So now I'm thinking I have a clogged line.

Cut the fuel line directly after the fuel pump - turned the key on (holy cow there's gas everywhere) - fuel pump works.

Reconnected Fuel pump line and turned the key to on, now there's gas coming out after the fuel filter (weird. That wasn't happening moments ago)

Cj- starts...woohoo!!!
(Let idle for 15 minutes while apply throttle in bursts)

Drive half a mile - cj chokes out and dies...booooo!

Limp back home where it sits now.

I have the stock carb on it and in the back of my mind I'm remembering the PO telling me "you'll need to replace the carb". Any suggestions on which to choose. Oreillys says they can get me a Tomco (opinions)??? Would a rebuild help at all...or should I just break down and buy a new one?

biggsammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
reeper
1978 CJ5 

Not sure I will be much help but I'll give it a shot. Electric or manual fuel pump? No fuel coming out of the line the first time you checked maybe pump is cutting out. Right after I got mine had fuel problems and found the tank to be full of rust.
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
biggsammy13

Electric fuel pump.
Would the pump stop working while driving? It looked like there was a small filter before the fuel pump (between the tank and the pump) perhaps that is clogged... I'll swap that out.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
reeper
1978 CJ5 

Will stop working if loses power check the wires maybe a bad connection.
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
biggsammy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeper
Will stop working if loses power check the wires maybe a bad connection.
Will do, thanks Reeper!
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Electric pumps in old CJs are just another fault waiting to happen. There is no telling if it is the right pressure or anything and if you are getting voltage when needed (fortunately many are quite noisy). The mechanical one is about $15 and reliable as long as you put a filter in before it to stop particles damaging the diaphragm.

One thing I do is put in a short piece of clear fuel hose just before the 3 way filter on top of the engine. This is so I can see fuel coming through and whether there is air mixed in. One area of weakness in the system are the fuel hoses on top of the fuel tank.

As the tank was offerred up from below flexible hose was needed at the factory to make the install easy. This hose rots out, cracks and splits and lets air into the fuel line. If you see large bubbles it is these lines and your carb will run poorly and stall on steep inclines.

The Carter YF carb is not a great performer but being a smaller venturi has good response low down and lets the engine develop good torque. It is easy to strip and clean with carb cleaner, reset the float levels etc. Unless it has worn throttle spindles it can be redeemed.

If you want to change to a new carb you have plenty of choice out there, a bit of research is needed first on what will direct fit and what will need an adapter. I prefer genuine Weber as it is shiny and Gucci and works.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
biggsammy13

It does tend to stall more on inclines. I'll be sure to check the lines from the tank for a crack.
Thanks for the tip on clear lines pre-fuel filter and carb info
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
biggsammy13

went ahead and replaced the fuel pump this weekend. seems to have resolved all issues. who would have thought this thing wouldn't run without fuel

thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.