78 cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 78 cj

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
CHILIREDXJ

78 cj

hi. i am new to this part of the forum. i frequent the xj part of jeepforum. i ran across an old friend who's father has a 78 cj. he bought it to plow, used it one winter, and it sat this past winter. i want it bad. i want to make him an offer, but don't know where to start. i am curious as to what axles were offered then, and what engines. the thing is in great shape. the green diamond plating kicks arse. help

Unread 05-29-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It should have a Dana 30 front axle and AMC Model 20 rear axle (probably with 2 piece axle shafts ). Probably has a Dana 20 transfer case or maybe Qtrac? (can't remember off the top of my head what years Quadratrac was offered). If the rear diff is centered it'll be a Dana 20. If it's a 6 banger it's probably a 258 AMC motor. Can't remember if 304s V8s were offered in 78. Tranny could be a T150 3 speed, or maybe (rare) a T18 4 speed. Might be easier for you to take a look, write down some notes or better yet, take digital pics, and post them back up here for dissection. My first Jeep was a 78 CJ7. Good luck!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
plain76cj5

1978 CJ : axles Front Dana 30
Rear AMC 20

engines 258 6 cylinder
304 V8

transfer case Dana 20 or Quadra-trac

tranny T-150 3 speed or T-18 4 speed
Turbo 400 (with Quadra-trac and V8)

The quadra-tracs were only available in CJ7's with V8 and the auto tranny. Also they did not have locking hubs. Also the rear differential will be offset like the front differential.
plain76cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.