77cj7 water leaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 77cj7 water leaks

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
nwmgnt

77cj7 water leaks

77 cj7 with hardtop. i have been tracking down water leaks. there are 2 main leaks down the lower corners of the windshield rubber seal on both the left drivers side and passengers side.

that water then dribbles down to the floor panel.

i had an old windshield seal and it leaked at same place, and i had to replace my windshield with new gasket and it still leaks at same place.

it seems that the water is coming from inside the gasket seal where windshield glass is.

does anyone else have this problem?

nwmgnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmgnt View Post
....does anyone else have this problem?
Everyone who owns a CJ has dealt with leaks from those areas.

A CJ can be made leak-free, but it takes persistence. Silicone is your friend.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

So it actually leaks from the glass to rubber seal?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
nwmgnt

when i sit in drivers seat, i can see a trail of water going from bottom of windshield gasket at lower right corner. it then trickles down dashboard plate above parking brake release lever and then to floor. it is same thing on passenger side.

i can see wetness between windshield glass and seal at this corner.

i assume water is getting in seal where glass sits and overfills at bottom and then spills over.

i tried weatherproofing the glass to gasket on outside, but i guess i was not successful.

i assume some clear silicone needs to be applied between glass and gasket on outside to make it weather proof.
nwmgnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

In the perfect world, new gasket, professionally installed glass, no extra stuff needed , but desperate problems need drastic measures. My PO did that and it left a milky film around the glass but it doesn't leak .
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.