77 CJ7 Levi - what do you think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 77 CJ7 Levi - what do you think?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

77 CJ7 Levi - what do you think?

I don't know if i'm allowed to put ebay links on here, but this guy relisted his 77 cj7 levi on ebay. I inquired about it originally, but didn't bid because I didn't check it out in person (2.5 hours away). soooooo- is a 77 cj7 with a 304 turbo 400 auto worth getting into? apparantly the frame is good, body is rough. from what i see in the pictures, it at least needs a driver side fender, and rear quarters. i'm waiting to see how bad the tub is (it's covered in DP). supposedly it runs good, and has only 69k on it. the floors and seats look pretty good in the pictures. i really want a manual tranny, but is this something that may be a diamond in the rough for under $2k?

TJTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
White92
1984 CJ7 

Are you mechanically inclined? Do you love being frustrated and having to labor for hours over a hunk of metal?
You are welcome to post ebay links here to the best of my knowledge.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #238[/COLOR]
[url]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/traviswhite92/DSC07176.jpg[/url]

[B]Hemi Club member #17[/B]
White92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

the most i've done has been a water pump, radiator, alternators, starters, and brakes- i consider myself mechanically "capable"! i'm willing to learn- i just don't want to bite off more than i can chew. here's the link-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-CJ...QQcmdZViewItem
Unread 07-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
Pick01
1980 CJ7 

If your really interested, take the trip, and check it out. With the DP in the bed, I figure he's hiding cancer. So most of tub is a waste, more than likely. If you can weld, you can patch metal, if your so inclined, or just replace the tub. I would check the frame, for rot/cracks etc......................if the Jeep other than the tub is good, yeah, it could be worth buying. Check out brakes, everything, and while your there, talk to him, and maybe you can work out something. Remember, it's going to need lots of time, money and work.

Pick
They call it PMS, because Mad Cow, was already taken.
Pick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

If it was closer to me, I would go check it out for you, but it is probably the same distance from NH that you are from it in CT.

Here is what I know about New England Jeeps, they all have rot and usually bad rot. 77 is 30 years old. He didn't mention anything about it being garage kept at all. IF he drove it in the winter, it will have rot on the frame.

I say go check it out, worth the trip to learn something about Jeeps. Diamond plate does usually hide rot. If you really want a manual, I would hold out for another one. Also, start looking more south of you as well, usually as you go further south and west, frames and bodies tend to be in much better shape.

cb

PS> Not saying you can't find a good CJ in the Northeast, but you will pay more the $2K for a good one...

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTony
the most i've done has been a water pump, radiator, alternators, starters, and brakes- i consider myself mechanically "capable"! i'm willing to learn- i just don't want to bite off more than i can chew. here's the link-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-CJ...QQcmdZViewItem
looking at the Jeep pic's posted in the ad, I'd say rust is a fairly major issue, especially when he says it has body issue, and could use a new tub???

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Looks to me the frame is infested with rust. Don't they salt the roads in Massachusetts? I don't know, never been there, not going there.
frame.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
JackN77CJ7
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb
Looks to me the frame is infested with rust. Don't they salt the roads in Massachusetts? I don't know, never been there, not going there.

Ya the frame scares me in the pictures. If you look you can see the rust above where the black paint hides it. If it was bad enought to "hide it" I would want to go look at it before I bid.

The body looks crappy but if you just want functional off roader only maybe that is not all that bad. If you are looking for something nicer and to drive a bit more you have to deside that yourself.

Good luck.
JackN77CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

For less thanwhat you'd spend on it just to get it in decent shape and get rid of the cancer, you could take a trip farther south and get one in better condition IMO.
79cj7reny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

Everything is salted up in New England- there's still salt on the roads now!

Anyway, I found an 85 laredo- 135k, everything is original, as far as the owner knows- clutch, tranny, axles, engine. he's had it 5 years, and there is minimal rust on it. from what i saw, there is no rust on the frame, just a little on the gate. body work was done to remove any rust on the body, and it was primered (some sanding and grinding will be needed before a professional paint job). tub is line-x'd. only fiberglass is the windshield. full doors with the rust holes at the bottom of the pillar, but it was cleaned and spray painted to prevent further rust. they are still solid, but obviously will need to be patched. original hardtop in great condition, and a tiger top with full doors. aftermarket rear bumper, 31" BFG's, and greasable shackles. no lift. original rims. rear main seal has a leak. aluminum valve cover, recent brake job. routine maintenance. seats are in great condition. the worst thing is the steering- i was told that it probably needs a new steering bracket.

now if you were selling this, what would you expect to get? I will find out tomorrow if I am getting it, and then i'll post the price, but i want to see what you guys thought first- remember, i'm in a rust state, so you usually only find something without rust at a jeep dealer-
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
Bard
1985 CJ7 

A decent, running CJ7 in New England can go from $2k to $5k. As without pics and going by what you said, I shoot for the $3500 mark if there is no frame issues and the rust is what you think it is.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.