77 CJ7 fuel help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 77 CJ7 fuel help

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
Scott 77CJ
1977 CJ7 

77 CJ7 fuel help

I removed the fuel tank from the jeep this weekend. Bottom of it had hole and completely rusted. Gonna replace the whole and am looking for tank, with sending unit. Ant suggestions on the best place to order one from. Thanks.

Scott 77CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Mgood

I am new around here so I might be wrong, but I have looked all over for gas tank parts for a 77 CJ 5 that I am working on and have not been able to find it. It seems that in 1977 they used a different tank and filler neck then they did in any other year. Your can find new tanks and hoses for 1978 and newer; and for 1976 and older; but not for 1977. If you are replacing everything they you should be able to buy a tank and hoses for a 1978 and newer and they will work. If you go this way then you will also need a new metal filler neck to connect the hoses to. If your rubber filler neck and vent hose are still in decent shape them I might be interested in buying them. Send me a PM.
Mgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

I ran into this issue when I needed to replace the gas tank on my 1976 CJ-7. I believe the 76 and 77 are the same. The problem is that Jeep put what ever they had on hand at the time to build the current Jeep. I have a 1976 but found out I had a 1975 gas tank, and later found out I have the front Dana inner bearings and hubs from a 1977 when I converted over to disk brakes on the front after I had purchased new bearings and Hubs I did not need. As I bought the Jeep new, I know that is how it came. So make sure you check what you have before you buy anything. I believe the filler neck is different from the 1975 to the 76-77.

Here is a link for a gas tank on Ebay, I have seen this same tank for twice the price on other popular 4 wheel sites.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...QQcmdZViewItem

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
mike223

I replaced my rusted out aftermarket 23 G tank on my '78 CJ-7 with an OEM 15 G from 4WD Parts, which was made by Crown. You should be able to find everything that you need from one of the major suppliers. One thing that you want to keep off of your old tank setup is the side straps; those are backorder items and it took months for them to come in. Also nuts and bolts. Little parts like that are hard to replace. The center strap and the skid plate are common items, as is the sending unit and are readily available. You might also want to order the filler neck and vent hoses, cause the old ones are sure to be brittle and cracked-at least mine were- and now is the time to replace them. Good luck, as it's a PITA.
mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Bluegrassfan
1984 CJ7 

Quadratec lists the following tank online: Polyethylene Fuel Tank with Complete Installation Kit for 72-77 Jeep CJ-5 & CJ-7 High Density Polyethylene fuel tanks are safer, lighter and very reliable. Models available for most CJ and Wrangler vehicles. We also have underseat tanks for vintage Jeep vehicles.
Click here for details $264.99 Here is the URL: http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...4&kw=fuel+tank
Bluegrassfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Scott 77CJ
1977 CJ7 

While removing my fuel tank i noticed two things mounted in the left rear fender well. The lines run to the fuel tank in around about way but not sure what they are for. I know the two line that run from the sending unit to the motor, but the other two are like vent hose or something any answers or suggestions.
Scott 77CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
kavephish
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 77CJ
While removing my fuel tank i noticed two things mounted in the left rear fender well. The lines run to the fuel tank in around about way but not sure what they are for. I know the two line that run from the sending unit to the motor, but the other two are like vent hose or something any answers or suggestions.
Thats your rollover/check valves. They also vent your gas tank to relieve pressure. One line runs to your tank(as you saw) and the other sould go to your charcoal cannister.
kavephish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #8
T18A
1977 CJ5 

----------

Last edited by T18A; 05-16-2008 at 01:28 AM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
82cjman
1982 CJ7 

you acn get all the parts at 4wd.com thats where i got mine
82cjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.