77 CJ5 Crawls when I give it gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 77 CJ5 Crawls when I give it gas

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-24-2002, 09:24 AM   #1
fickesd

77 CJ5 Crawls when I give it gas

Seems to idle almost regular but when I step on the gas it just crawls enough to pull it in the garage. It's getting gas in the carb., I've replaced the fuel filter, plugs, distributor cap, rotor and ignition coil cable. The plugs that are brand new just have a real thin film of oil or gas (not sooty). My second thought is that it could be a vacuum leak but all of my vacuum hoses have been plugged since I owned the vehicle. Could my carb. need to be adjusted or rebuilt? Oh yeah I also put gas stabilizer in my tank just in case I had moisture in it.

Any other suggestions? I'm out of ideas without starting to replace expensive stuff.

Thanks,
Steve

fickesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2002, 12:26 AM   #2
Ralph Curry

How old is your gas? Are you sure it's gas? I have a friend with a garage, and some guy had his car in because it wouldn't run. Turns out somebody put diesel in it, but there was enough gas to almost start, but not enough to run.
You might try getting a small container of gas and bypassing the gas tank. See if it runs better when it gets to the new gas.
Ralph Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2002, 02:45 PM   #3
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When did it start doing this? Before you installed all those parts? If it started after you installed those parts, check your new parts against your old parts. (cap & rotor!!) Make sure you put the cap on right with the plug wires in the correct firing order.

If it happened all of a sudden while you were driving or starting to drive it, there could be a timing chain problem. Although, you have not mentioned what engine it has so it's hard to say what else it might be.

If it has a catylitic converter, that could be plugged. Check fuel pressure by disconnecting the fuel hose to carb and inserting that business end into a bottle and crank the engine for a few seconds. As mentioned before, deisel bad - gas good (LOL)

Check your oil. A guy last week said almost the same thing and found out his oil filter had a big hole in it and all the oil in the engine was gone. Too much friction - bad....

Will it rev up in neutral? does it backfire? does it have good spark? You sure you got the plug wires right? that's about all I can think to check.

Good luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.