77 304 ignition upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 77 304 ignition upgrade

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 02-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Bunky67
1977 CJ5 

77 304 ignition upgrade

I want to upgrade my ignition on my 77 jeep 304. at first I was going to try and use a motorcraft distributor and GM module. but after pricing a distributor and parts. I came across a HEI unit on Ebay. for $60 shipped. so I'm thinking of going with this instead anyone else used one pf these units?

or have any iput on using Hei over the mptorcraft?

Bunky67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
caseman580
1976 CJ7 

I just did the motorcraft and msd upgrade in my 76 304. Best upgrade I've done for the money so far. Used the summit unit and followed jeephammers advise on the other stuff. Like I said, ABSOLUTELY no comparison to the prestocrap. I've heard a a lot of bad things about the eBay hei units. No experience myself just what I've heard but I can vouch for the msd. Well worth the money.
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Bunky67
1977 CJ5 

so did you buy just the msd box from summit or the distributor to.
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

I've got the Duraspark distributor-GM module-Ford TFI coil and am 110 % satisfied.
If you decide to do it, pm me an email addy and I'll send pics and tips.
I would NOT use one of the eBay wonders, period, paragraph.
If you wanted to do that, I've got an old point-type Delco you can have. At least it won't kill your cam gear.
Unread 02-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
caseman580
1976 CJ7 

I used the summit 850610 cdi box and the summit g5217 coil, the rest I got from the local parts house. You need to get the msd to motor craft dizzy adapter harness as well if you go this way. And a MUST is good wires @ least 8.5 mm. Think it was I little less than $300 for everything and I was a little hesitant on spending the money but like I said, there is no comparison. Cold start went away, you hit the key it starts. Throttle response is awesome and my mpg is a noticeable difference. I wish I would have done this to begin with, it would have saved me a ton of "tinker" time I've wasted trying to "tune" it in. Jeephammer has a good writeup on this on pre 77 ignition systems. Very easy to do.
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Bunky67
1977 CJ5 

ok so it sounds like dura spark is the way the way I want to go
so now where do I find a distributor?
and. I can come up with thw rest

j
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

*IF* you go HEI off the 'Internet',
Then beware the distributor.

Wrong install heights, wrong distributor gears, 'China' components.
There is no 'Junk Yard' or off the shelf swap for a 'Correct' HEI since Jeep never used an HEI.
You are limited to the offerings from 'Internet' retailers that don't always get things 'Correct',
And they WILL damage your engine.

If you want an HEI, then go with the $300 version from DUI,
People report virtually NO failures with DUI over the 'E-bay' offerings.

-----------------------------------------------

If you aren't afraid of a little wiring, you can do a swap to the Jeep/Motorcraft distributor for about $60.
A Remanufactured distributor from the parts stores WILL NOT destroy your camshaft gear, have the correct install height so the gear rides in the correct position on the camshaft,
And it doesn't have the 'Spark Energy' control problems the HEI/clones do.

For a 304, that's a distributor from a '79 Jeep CJ with 304 engine, it will drop right in.

Then you do an upgraded cap, rotor, plug wires so you get the spark energy where it's supposed to be...
See signature line below for those details...

Then you use a GM HEI style module to drive your new ignition, which is pretty simple since you are coming over from a Prestolite system, the wiring is already in place...
Again, see Prestolite upgrade in my signature line...

THis thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig...jeeps-1302352/
Scroll down to post #4 & #5 and see if this is something you can do...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

look for about a 1980 Wagoneer w/ 360. That's what I bought (ebay) for a buildable core since I was gonna just clean/rebuild/replace parts in it anyway.Also you are SURE to get a compatible dizzy gear that won't kill a cam drive gear that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.