76 with no spark - please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 76 with no spark - please help

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

76 with no spark - please help

Hey guys,

I have a 76 with no spark as tested with the lighted spark tester at the plug and the coil to distributor. Everything worked when I parked it a month ago, but now it turns over strong but no spark. So the solenoid is good. What is a good method to test the connections between the solenoid and coil?

I don't have a bulb tester, but I do have a voltmeter. I appreciate the advice. I've read a hundred posts on here but can't find anything for my setup..yet.

Thanks,
D

Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The wonderful "JeepHammer" wrote up some good testing procedures when Ken had a no spark condition a couple of years back:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/25...spark-1045702/

Hope this can point you in the right direction!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Pman. I am doing this solo. It's frustrating that these probes all have just a point.
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So - with a voltmeter, not a bulb - I have over 12 from the coil out put to ground. Leading me to think he distributor has an issue. Does that sound reasonable? When cranking there is still consistent voltage from coil output.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well the resistance between the pos and neg terminals is only 1.8 ohms. Not 1.8k, but 1.8, so I think the coil is ok.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
CSP

Sounds like the Prestocrap ignition is living up to its pseudoname.

Honestly, don't spend another minute or a dime figuring it out. The ignition used on '75-77 CJs is pure junk. I ditched mine fifteen years ago for an HEI distributor and have never looked back.

The above link with Jeephammer's troubleshooting is applicable to the '78 and up CJs with the Duraspark ignition. The OPs has Prestolite if it's original. It's easy to identify as the vacuum advance canister on the distributor will be plastic.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Vacuum advance is tin / metal. The distrib is clean and new from po. If I have resistance of 1.3-1.8 at the coil, how do I test it further?

Here's the coil: https://picasaweb.google.com/Pullen....94951704450018
Distributor: https://picasaweb.google.com/Pullen....95001225831586
And the mess of wiring the po left me: https://picasaweb.google.com/Pullen....95067835761618

Thanks for the replies
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It looks like a later Ford distributor but it is a heeeeecccccck of a mess under that hood.

Could I suggest you take the distributor cap off and take a pic of what is under there?

I see various unconnected plugs, stray modules and all sorts under that hood. It is not clear whether you have an electronic Duraspark ignition, points or some PO special. At least the good news is that it is not Prestolite.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
CSP

That's good that someone else beat you to getting rid of the Prestolite! That is definitely a Duraspark distributor and you can follow that link referencing JH's troubleshooting.

The only real troubleshooting to do regarding the coil is whether it's sending spark or not to the distributor. Focus on the ignition module and then the pickup coil in the distributor. Most likely it's the module or possibly the wiring since you have that mess going on.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

WHY are all those electrical plugs uncovered?
Any water get's into them, and it's "Short-city".
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea what those plugs go to. On one hand, I think the jeep was originally a EFI. It's an 87 by title, with a 76 motor. But the 87 s didn't come with EFI, but this thing looks like it had a bunch of computer stuff.

I want to clean it up and remove the unused wires, but I'm not quite sure where to start. It's a weekend jeep for me, and I have no intentions of selling it, and don't need ac, etc.

At this point I just want to drive it. I got it in may, a week later the internal slave crapped out. I broke the exhaust bolts removing the ax15. ( Yeah - po had already upgraded tranny) Then found broken bolt in cylinder head. Machined the head, exhaust and intake, did a valve job and replaced rockers, thermostat, clutch, rear main seal and all the other gaskets, oh and did an external slave conversion. I appreciate all the tips and advice from you guys here.

Good lord, can something actually function on this thing!?!?
I'm considering calling it project "coming to Jesus" for all the promises I've made The Lord at this point.
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

No CJ's were made after early 1986.
No CJ ever had OEM, EFI.
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The above link with Jeephammer's troubleshooting is applicable to the '78 and up CJs with the Duraspark ignition.
CSP, thanks for pointing this out. I feel like a moron for not realizing dwarf may have been running the prestolite ignition.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's a yj originally. Apparently the po swapped in a 76 from the engine block codes.
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

An 87 YJ could have come with the carbed AMC258, a lot of them did. Injection arrived a few years later when the 4.0l was installed.

What you are seeing under there is a mess but may be the emissions control gear. This was computerised.

The AX15 box I think came in in 1989, so that is also non-original.

However not all is lost as you have a fairly simple mid 70s motor with manual box. There are relatively few electrical circuits needed in the engine bay to drive the 258- ignition, lights, horn, main power harness and electric choke come to mind.

As to your distributor, it looks Ford but may not be Duraspark, you need to look under the cap to check if it is points or sensor and then find the ignition module if it has a sensor. (Some POs put in old fashioned points, in the day we all wanted to replace them with sensors) A 4 inch square ribbed aluminium box with two plugs is hard to miss, it may even say MOTORCRAFT on it if a genuine Ford item.

If you can find that box and it has a 2 way and 4 way plug you can troubleshoot it using the Jeephammer posts.

If you find something else, take a pic and post it up.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.