'76 CJ7 Temp Gauge not working, Fuel Gauge does work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '76 CJ7 Temp Gauge not working, Fuel Gauge does work

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

'76 CJ7 Temp Gauge not working, Fuel Gauge does work

I have been searching thru the forum to find some help with my Temp Gauge. From all the links I have followed, I see the Temp Gauge is directly, wired with the fuel Gauge. SO my question is, since the fuel gauge is working could it be the temp sensor? I know the motor is getting hot, because when I come to a stop it boils over and when I am moving it stops boiling over. Does this mean the thermostat needs to replaced as well?

Sorry about all the questions, but I just need to get this running so it can get smoggeed. Then I want to get an entire new wiring harness for it, this jeeps wires has been hacked and are so brittle. Its just an old vehicle that needs some attention.

AJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

I'd like an answer/possible solution to this also. My temp gauge worked but fuel gauge didnt, but when I got the fuel gauge working the temp gauge stopped working.
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Best I can do for ya

Let me google that for you
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

Yeah, I've been meaning to go through and run those tests again, thats the write up I used while doing the wiring and installing the gauges.
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
Iknow the motor is getting hot, because when I come to a stop it boils over and when I am moving it stops boiling over. Does this mean the thermostat needs to replaced as well?
Sounds reasonable. When it boils over is the radiator hot or even warm?

You need to check the fluid level in the radiator as well. It should be up to the top. Make sure there an appropriate amount of coolant in the reserve bottle too. Also, don't use tap water as part of your 50/50 coolant/water mix; use distilled water so you don't introduce minerals into the system which could lead to a clogged radiatior. Or buy a pre-mixed 50/50 coolant/water mix.

It could also be the water pump. If that's not working then the best coolant and thermostat aren't going to help overheating.

Are the belts in good shape? Are they there? Slipping?

Be careful about the engine overheating because that can quickly lead to severe engine damage.
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I will check those also, never thought of it being the water pump.

This is gona be a stupid question but how many belts should I have? Im guessing 2?
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

The temp sensor is an $8 part. To test the sending wire, ground it TEMPORARILY to any ground (pull it from the sensor and connect a wire to the engine block) - run check to see if the temp gauge is registering, quickly unground if so. If not, you have a bad sending wire, if the gauge is running up, it's your sensor. I had the same issue - fuel gauge worked, temp gauge always read low. Replaced sensor and now she behaves.
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
I will check those also, never thought of it being the water pump.
This is gona be a stupid question but how many belts should I have? Im guessing 2?
It depends on your particular setup and what's under the hood. I'm not familiar with the '76 so someone else will have to chime in.

Some engines use a serpentine belt (one belt drives multiple things) and some use mutiple belts. I suppose there is no AC or air/smog pump on a '76, so probably you'll just be turning the alternator and the water pump.
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes that is correct. Just the alternator and water pump. Its such a simple machine and yet drives me nuts. LOL, Doesnt take me much for that tho.
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The temp sensor is an $8 part. To test the sending wire, ground it TEMPORARILY to any ground (pull it from the sensor and connect a wire to the engine block) - run check to see if the temp gauge is registering, quickly unground if so. If not, you have a bad sending wire, if the gauge is running up, it's your sensor. I had the same issue - fuel gauge worked, temp gauge always read low. Replaced sensor and now she behaves.
-N
Walkerhoundvm

Yes it reads low like nothing is happening. That is a simple test as soon as I get home I will try that, Thanks.
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to start moving up. Have someone in the seat watching if you have to hold the ground. If you leave it grounded for more than it takes to start moving up, you could fry the gauge (so I've heard, but I wouldn't want to test that claim!)

Just be warned that the reading is relative once you get it in order, if the sensor change works. Everyones gauge reads different to some extent even when functional, so keep track of where yours normally reads when warm and cold and how soon it gets warm, etc. A search here will give you some info on other owners normals - mine is between 1/3rd and 1/2 way across the green. It got closest to half way a week ago when it was 95 and I was slowly charging up a steep incline.
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it worked so now I just need to get a new sensor. Thanks for the advice, wish all the projects this thing needs would that easy. Again thanks for the help, Walkerhoundvm.

Tags
temperature , gauge , CJ , fuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.