76 cj5 emergency brake stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 76 cj5 emergency brake stuck

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
CollinCJ5

76 cj5 emergency brake stuck

my emergency brake is stuck, I have the wheel and drum off and I'm looking at the e brake spring being compressed. I had to drive it home about 10 miles but the shoes look fine and so does the inside of the drum. I cannot get the emergency brake disengaged from the pedal or from inside of the drum because of rust, i believe. Has anyone had this problem? I really need help! This is my daily driver!

CollinCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Yup, the cable swells from rust and jams inside the case. You need to figure out which cable has seized. The 3 cables join up behind the drivers seat underneath. You can pull on each wheel cable to see if they move. That is where you can slack them off also.
From experience in the rust belt, if one is seized, usually all 3 need to be replaced.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
CollinCJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Yup, the cable swells from rust and jams inside the case. You need to figure out which cable has seized. The 3 cables join up behind the drivers seat underneath. You can pull on each wheel cable to see if they move. That is where you can slack them off also.
From experience in the rust belt, if one is seized, usually all 3 need to be replaced.
How would I remove the cables and would it be safe to not have the e brake attached? I don't use it at all because it didnt work until my friend slammed his foot on the pedal.
CollinCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
CSP

If the cables are seized just cut them as they have to be replaced anyhow. A cutoff wheel on a grinder or air tool is the best tool for this task.

Your ebrake obviously isn't working, so removing the cables is no different.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinCJ5 View Post

How would I remove the cables and would it be safe to not have the e brake attached? I don't use it at all because it didnt work until my friend slammed his foot on the pedal.
Look under behind the drivers seat. You will see 3 cables coming together and a looonng bolt to try and fight the adjusting nut off of on one cable. Sounds like the front cable is bad, but it is safer having the cable cut even then having dragging brakes. If replacing the cable I don't mess with that usually rusted round nut, I just use the angle grinder on it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.