76' CJ 5 as a semi daily driver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 76' CJ 5 as a semi daily driver?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
racemx904
1990 YJ Wrangler 

76' CJ 5 as a semi daily driver?

I am looking at a 76' CJ5 with a 304 with a 3 speed and front end all gone through....is this an alright canidate for a semi daily driver...like winter and rainy days when I cant ride my motorcycle....I figure since I have my truck sold and no payment any breaks I can repair and not hurt the pocket book to bad...what do you think?

racemx904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
longboy
2006 WK 

How many miles a day is your commute? I DD my '83 CJ for about 4 years, about 50 miles a day round trip. The driving was fine, but if you ever need to work on it you have to have it buttoned up again by Monday morning. Sometimes, that's not always easy if you have to wait to get a part-
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
racemx904
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I drive about 27 miles each way but I only work 3 days one week and 4 the next so I end up with a ton of time to work on stuff....plus a wifes vehicle and a motorcycle too...
racemx904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
MontanaCJ5
1974 CJ5 

CJs are not the best vehicle for snowy and icy roads. Their short wheelbase makes them rather "squirrelly" on slick pavement. It can be done, but just be aware of this. If the axles have limited slips or lockers in them (ones that you cannot disconnect) the problem is worse.
MontanaCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.