76 304 Ignition Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 76 304 Ignition Upgrade

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

76 304 Ignition Upgrade

Looks like there are a lot of articles that talk about how much it helps to get an ignition upgrade on the older Jeep engines. My engine is running right now (probably not anywhere close to as strong as it could), so I am a little hesitant to change anything out that works (especially being a noob mechanic). But seems like this may be worth the upgrade as almost everyone talks about how much it helps.

I wanted to see if anyone has done this upgrade recently and has a parts list and recommendations? Maybe just point me to another thread that has a good write up (found all kinds of good articles when searching, but didn't see an exact "grocery list" type of parts to get).

I think I read somewhere that the pre '78 AMC 304 ignition upgrade is slightly different that 78 to 81. I took a couple of pictures of my current setup in case it helps to point out parts I should get or any "gotchas" I may run into with my setup.

Thanks in advance for your help!

jeep-i1.jpg   jeep-i-2.jpg  
burchdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Lots of articles and info out there. I ditched the stock Motorola ignition on my 75/304 when I did a TBI conversion. The folks I got the TBI stuff from provided me a new dizzy that works with the ECU I installed. So I am not much help. Before that I was looking at DUI as an ignition. There are also a ton of articles on ignitions where people did a junkyard swap. Check out Junk Yard Genius as he has a ton of info online.
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

HEI. Simple. Nuff said.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

This is one of my favorite threads on this topic http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/30...ibutor-760050/
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

One wire and done.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
bobboe
1977 CJ5 

hei

I did the hei upgrade. I couldn't afford a dui, their awfully proud of their unit, so I ended up with a skip white distributor. As with any of the import dizzies you will want to swap the gear from the old one so u don't damage the cam gear. I got my distributor, accel cut to fit wires, and spark plugs for less than half of what dui's cost. Just my attemp to give back a little info to the other user's of this forum. Cuz I've used the @#$! out of it! Good luck on your project!
bobboe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbytrace View Post
HEI. Simple. Nuff said.
Yep. Easier to do, and you can buy parts anywhere for it.
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobboe View Post
I did the hei upgrade. I couldn't afford a dui, their awfully proud of their unit, so I ended up with a skip white distributor. As with any of the import dizzies you will want to swap the gear from the old one so u don't damage the cam gear. I got my distributor, accel cut to fit wires, and spark plugs for less than half of what dui's cost. Just my attemp to give back a little info to the other user's of this forum. Cuz I've used the @#$! out of it! Good luck on your project!
This, on all points, especially the drive gear.

Do it, love it.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.