75 cj5 tranny/transfer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 75 cj5 tranny/transfer

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-12-2002, 08:53 AM   #1
rustyCJ

75 cj5 tranny/transfer

If everything works out i will be picking up a 75 for parts. the guy doesnt know what is in it and i havent seen the pics yet. would a T18 with a dana20 be a good guess? i do know that it currently has a 258 in it but i dont know if its the original.

Unread 11-12-2002, 09:35 AM   #2
CSP

Transmission is probably a T14 three speed. The T18 was an option, but it's not the one with the 6.32 first gear. Transfer case will be a Dana 20.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2002, 02:35 AM   #3
rustyCJ

he says he was pretty sure it was a 4spd but wasnt positive.

anyway, i will only have this thing for as long as it takes for me to pull what i want from it, then its going to the junkyard. this jeep is complete but the body and frame are shot. I will be taking the axles/transfer/tranny and a few other little things. the majority of it will go to the junkyard with the jeep unless someone wants something. if its on there and i dont want it, i will pull it off and sell it for a few bucks more than what it costs to ship. so let me know. i plan on having this dropped off this weekend and having it gone by the following weekend.
Unread 11-15-2002, 03:28 AM   #4
T-Ball

It is my understanding that they didn't put a 4sp in a cj 5 because the extra length of the tranny would have made the rear drive shaft in too much of a bind, but I could be wrong, my wife says that I am most of the time. I do know that if it is a 3sp, then it is a T-14 if it had a 6cyl, and a T-15 if it had a 8cyl.
T-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:57 PM   #5
goody350s

i could be in the market for the heat/defrost conrol
panal and cables mine are shot let me know
if they are in somewhat good condition(if the are still there)
maybe we could work somthing out i have a 75cj5
and if i am thinking right the control panal sits by
itself and mounts to the bottom of the dash
anyway let me know
thanks
Unread 11-16-2002, 12:24 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ball
It is my understanding that they didn't put a 4sp in a cj 5 because the extra length of the tranny would have made the rear drive shaft in too much of a bind, but I could be wrong, my wife says that I am most of the time. I do know that if it is a 3sp, then it is a T-14 if it had a 6cyl, and a T-15 if it had a 8cyl.
The T98A 4 speed was an option from 55 to 71. Its brother the T18 took over in 72 and ran till 75. In 76 the T18A( with the 6.3 first) was offered till 79. Even if it's not the "A" version, it can be made to be by swapping the input and gears from an "A" trans, possibly from an old Ford pickup. On a side note T-Ball, I think your wife and mine are twin sisters.LOL
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
rustyCJ

it will prolly be another week for the jeep now. i wanted to see pics before i sent the money and had him deliver it.

this jeep will have the 44 rear? was it 75 or 76 when they started using the 20?

goody350s, if its there its yours for $1 more than what it costs to ship. the jeep is complete just rusted beyond salvage so, i dont know what kind of shape anything is in.
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:21 AM   #8
So Cal CJ

To my knowledge the 75's had all come w/ Spicer 20 Cases and T14A 3 speeds were standard w/ the T18 4 speed being an option. Also 71-86 had Dana 30 Front axles and 72-75 had the Dana 44 Rear axle.
Don't by parts on my word but those are the specs I have come to find to be the most true. Hope this helps?
Unread 11-20-2002, 07:38 PM   #9
jeepin cj-5

I have 73 cj5 with the t14 and dana 20 in it... I m looking for side view mirrors..let me know if that jeep has them and what kina condition they are in. Also I am looking for seats.. i dnno if that jeep has them but let me know.
jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2002, 10:11 PM   #10
rustyCJ

the seats are there but, prolly shot since it has been sitting outside without a top for quite some time. i have no idea bout the mirrors. i will let you know, if their there and in decent shape, a $1 over what it costs to ship.
Unread 11-21-2002, 04:50 PM   #11
jeepin cj-5

good deal.. thanks man
Unread 11-22-2002, 07:01 PM   #12
rustyCJ

the seats are shot and there are no mirrors, sorry.
Unread 11-24-2002, 08:35 PM   #13
jeepin cj-5

oh well thanks anyway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.