'75 CJ5 E-Brake Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '75 CJ5 E-Brake Repair

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
JeepCocky
1975 CJ5 

'75 CJ5 E-Brake Repair

Hey guys,

Just signed up to the forum and doing research on my other 06 TJ Iím glad I have. I actually just sold of the TJ off and went with a 1975 CJ5. When I looked at the Jeep it had some nice beauty shots in and out, and when I test drove it she felt OLD. I was quickly reminded of how long itís been since Iíve even driving in an antique like this. So we puttered around the neighborhood and it seemed fine to me.

When I got it home (250+ miles away on a trailer) I took it in because it seemed to be running rich. I wanted to do the work on it myself. Itís one of the main reasons for picking up an old CJ5. I was sick of dealing with Engine Codes and chasing an issue. Wanted something I could see working before my eyes. So I took it into a shop here in Austin. Right off the bat, you need a new Carb, new Distributor, wires, plugs, Rust in the filter. 1300 later I still need a new Tank, new e-brake and Clutch replacement) these are all on the verge of going out.

Right now though, Iím in need of replacing the E-brake. Upon inspection the T-bar release handle is busted off but the rest of the components seem to be working fine, although I canít get the pedal to latch and hold. Iíve searched High and low but canít seem to find a schematic. Yeah I know I should pick up a manual and I will. But for right now a simple PDF Diagram would work too. Anything would help.

(1975, Parking Brake, E-Brake, CJ5)

JeepCocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
osajus
1980 CJ5 

Go to: https://elibrary.mel.org/validate?ur...ch%3Fdb%3DCHLL
Drivers License Number: a123456789012

Schematic is in the repair section
osajus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
JeepCocky
1975 CJ5 

Osajus: Thanks but it just shows an animation of the e-break being pulled and released...
Unread 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
osajus
1980 CJ5 

From that link, login and select make/model.

Click Repair > Brakes >Parking Brake >Cables >Removal & Installation >Rear Wheel Type Hand Brake >Front Cable

Should show a schematic of the system. Sorry, I can't post photos right now
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
JeepCocky
1975 CJ5 

Thanks Osajus, but unfortunately it's not a hand break, it's a Pedal Break with a t-bar release system.
This is the only Digram I could find. The part # (8.180-1) is what I'm looking for...

Unread 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
osajus
1980 CJ5 

Yeah, I know it says hand brake but if you follow the links it will show a foot pedal. (http://content.chiltonsonline.com/co...s/85369080.pdf)

Looks like you need an assembly (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-br...bler/index.htm)
Unread 03-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
JeepCocky
1975 CJ5 

There we go! One little word changes everything in a good search! Thanks Osajus!
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by osajus View Post
From that link, login and select make/model.

Click Repair > Brakes >Parking Brake >Cables >Removal & Installation >Rear Wheel Type Hand Brake >Front Cable

Should show a schematic of the system. Sorry, I can't post photos right now
You should be able to post pics at 25 posts.Just saying
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
alfsr78
1973 CJ6 

Jeep Cocky, did that assembly work? I am in the same boat on my '73 and from what I could see the bolt pattern at the firewall is the same, but on mine there is not a bolt at the top at the front, but a bolt at the side. 76' is the year Chrysler took over jeep and that seems to be when this was changed.

Please let me know if this worked for you.
Thanks,
Al
alfsr78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
CSP

Chrysler did not take over in '76. Jeep was still AMC at that point.

Yes, there were lots of changes made in the '76 model year, but it had nothing to do with Chrysler. One change was the ebrake pedal assembly. You'll want to find one from a '72-75 and the various classifieds on these forums as well as searching locally like via craigslist will be necessary to find the correct parts. They aren't sold as new that I'm aware of.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

While we are on the subject of the intermediate cj5 can some post a picture of how the brake is supposed to look with the release and all of that thanks.
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
alfsr78
1973 CJ6 

Hey Newbjeep,
Here is a picture of mine. As you can see the handle is broke off, but this is the best I can do. This model the handle attached to a cable as in the diagram posted earlier. Good luck in finding one.
img_0045.jpg  
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
alfsr78
1973 CJ6 

Sorry CSP, my mistake on the Chrysler take over. This is the year they started using the Mopar ebrake assembly made by Chrysler.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
CSP

No, that's the first year that you can find a ebrake assembly at a dealer with a Mopar part number now assigned to it. It doesn't mean that Mopar made the part for Jeep. If AMC dealers were still around you'd find an AMC part number for that part.

Mopar didn't ever come into the picture for Jeep until late 1986. Yes Jeep used lots of parts made by other companies, but that isn't one of them and not much was used from Chrysler other than Torqueflite transmissions starting in the 80s.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
tineyhairs
1975 CJ5 

know what your going thru. my 75 needs the same thing to pass inspection. just bought it to rebuild it for my grandson. he is a jeep nut along with his dad. I had a 78 golden eagle. 3 sp. 6 cyl. he remembers the good times we had as father and son with it. wants to do the same with his 3 boys in his 02 yt.
tineyhairs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.