75 cj5 differences - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 75 cj5 differences

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-25-2002, 04:50 PM   #1
goody350s

75 cj5 differences

I just bought a 75 cj5 and was wondering about
some things ive noticed
it seems the "cutoff line" was 75
and in 76 the jeeps were different
body wise that is or at least that is what i am
concerned about for example my seats mount differently
dash is abit diff. i saw a pic of a 75 and the wind shield
had a hoop and latch hold down while mine has the "ears" with the screw in knobs i also had a 76 cj5 when i was 16
and the wind sheild was like the one i have now
so what i am wondering is did the guy that had this jeep
put this windsheild on or is it original also it would be nice to know for ordering tops etc. also i am planing on pretty much restoring this jeep so if anyone has some info on pre 76 cj5
driveline and interior parts that would be awesome
eventually i plan on putting a glass body on since the one on there now is pretty well gone

Unread 08-25-2002, 08:11 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

OK, her it goes:
Frame: 75 CJ : Straight frame (back part is as wide as the front) and only boxed in front section including the engine mounts. 77 on is boxed all the way and wider on the back for stability
Springs: 75:1 and 3/4 wide and shorter length than 76 on. 76 on is 2 inch in front and 2 and 1/2 in rear.
Body: 75 dash has thin steering column, no speaker / radio holes, ignition key on dash. The floorpan has a storage box under the passenger seat and both seat frames are tubular and attach to the body at the door seal area. The passenger seat folds foward on a hinge and at a centain angle, can be popped out and removed. Same is true for the windshield as these hinges are the same design (must disconnect the wiper motor plug first.) The windshield frame is straight (90 degree) on the sides and uses a clamp down style of hold downs. The tub has a 90 degree rail around the top and the doors attach at the hole in the lower door area and a bracket on the upper side of the windshield.

If you are restoring yours to true 1975 specs, you need to find out how your model came originally. Renegade? Color? Etc, check vin and trim tap on firewall. I can tell you of options, colors, and decals if needed.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2002, 09:19 PM   #3
goody350s

thank you for the info
as far as the wind shield
is concerned it has the "ears"as
i call them with the screw in knobs
insted of the clamp down style
could the other owner have put a newer frame
on
would they be interchangable?
and when you say 90 degrees
does that mean the frame sits sraight
up and down? mine kind of "tilts" back
with the dash the key is in the dash
but there is a speaker hole by the glove box
it looks factory but not for sure
as far as the seats are concerned
im not to happy with this design
is there any seat mods i could do to make seats
like a 76cj fit in my 75cj just wondering
not to sure if i am going to leave the saets like that or not
any more thoughts would be really helpful
thanks
chris
Unread 08-25-2002, 10:43 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Chris, If you have acess to a digital camera, send some good pics and I'll tell you what is stock and what has been swapped. It's hard to tell as a 27 year old Jeep could have a lot done to it.
If your looking at your jeep head on, the pre 76 windshield is wider and it's sides are straight up and down compared to the ground or sides of the Jeep. The same view for a 76 on windshield has the sides leaning in as it nears the top. Yes, both lean back from the side view, but I'm talking about head on view. Ah yes, the pre 76 has the wiper motor on the outside of the frame under a cover (bulge) under the driver side glass. Yours should be like this. Your dash should have the key located on the dash, to the right of the column. The metal dash itself is interchangable up to the YJ. The difference in the models is how the whildshield stays up. Even the hinges are interchangeable as far as mounting them. Your windshield hinges should not have a place to mount doors on them , where as the 76 on hinge does, and the YJ then doesn't have mirror holes.
Back to the dash, the screw in knobs are located in different spots (by an inch or 2) than the clamp down style. If you have the WS frame with the wiper motor buldge, then you should have the dash with the clamp style hold downs. Is your speaker hole just cut out with a grill over it, or is the grill part of the dash panel? If you have the WS frame that tapers in toward the top ( plastic defrost vents), then you should have the screw in knobs, and later CJ dash. The WS frames and dashes work together as a pair. You can mix and match them, but it would be very hard and require drilling and modification.
Due to the floor board design of the pre 76, the post 75 seat brackets don't fit. Your kinda stuck using the tube rail system usless you want to fab something. If your going to a full cage, you can put in cross bars at the right location for the seat mounts.

Unread 08-26-2002, 06:52 AM   #5
cjryder

I also have a 75 which has some mysterious parts. I would like to see the photos and responses from onlyinacj. The back of mine has some aftermarket lights, and I would like to see a photo of a stock set up for 75.
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 09:38 AM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Latest edition of 4 Wheel Drive Hardware (fall 2002 with red Scrambler on cover) has the tail lights on page 54. Pics "T" and "Q". The round taillights mount low, near the bumper, and the back-up lights are up higher, toward the top.

Unread 08-29-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
goody350s

ok here goes
i just got in from south dakota for work
and made a bee line for the computer
read your reply and went to the garage
my windsheild does taper towards the
top looking at the front of the cj the wiper motor is on the outside
of the frame left side behind the seering wheel with the cover "buldge"
the frame hinges have door mounts
the defrost vents are plastic and the windsheild
hold downs are the "ear" type like i said before
so i guess the frame is from a newer model
the tail lights are the smaller style that mount near the bumper
and the back up lights are seperate and mount higher up
on the corners as far as the dash the speaker could have been cut out i havent really got into the project that far im concentrating on getting it mechanically sound
right now i was just wondering about these because
i knew a little about the 76 and not so much
about the 75 and was seeing little differences here and there
and i didnt quite add up

once again you have been alot of help
and i thank you for that

also about digital pic
no camra no scanner....sorry

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.