74cj5 steering problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 74cj5 steering problem

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
bzrut
1974 CJ5 

74cj5 steering problem

Hello, I have a cj5 that cant drive straight, steering kinda gets hard then releases then veers off in whatever direction it's pointing. it has new tires and are aligned. Tie Rod End all good, Im guessing a bad steering pump. Any advice thanks.

bzrut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

Bad u-joints in the front axle shafts.....just a guess.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You can loosen off the belt on the pump to see if the issue changes. I would be checking out the axle u-joints as mentioned too.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Partsmke
1998 YJ Wrangler 

The steering gear itself comes into question as well as the ball joints that support the knuckles. The ball joints can be bound up or the top adjuster too tight, also check to see if any part of the knuckle or steering linkage is contacting something else causing bind.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
chatham

check in the back for empty beer cans, it might be a clue
chatham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Partsmke
1998 YJ Wrangler 

It amazes me that people post crap on a thread intended to be serious about a problem that many of us try to be thoughtful and lend our knowledge in an effort to be helpful.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

Hard to say on your description. Jack up the front and have someone turn the wheel both ways and check every connection for play. Binding could be coming from your steering gear.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

When I had that it was the joint at the bottom of the steering shaft. Mine would pop out of alignment and then break free. For me it would lock the steering until I could break it free!! Heavy duty shaft replaced it.
Scuter83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
chatham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke View Post
It amazes me that people post crap on a thread intended to be serious about a problem that many of us try to be thoughtful and lend our knowledge in an effort to be helpful.
Whoooaaa lighten up, he is getting a lot of good information, I just thought his description of how it drove sounds like how I drive after a few beers. a good sense of humor helps fix a lot of things as well. notice the smile I added at the end.
chatham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
Steve79cj7

1979 CJ7 

Check upper and lower ball joints, jack the front end up and see if you can move the tire. You should be able to track down whats moving
You said tie rod ends, what about drag link and sway bar bushings?
Front bearings can cause a problem too. Theres allot of parts up there. I just did mine and wound up replacing all the above and the
the ball joints and bearings made the biggest difference. The parts are not that expensive and if you wind up doing the u joints like John N said then you will have most of them off anyways. If you do ball joints just make sure you do them in the right order and torque everything to specs
Unread 05-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #11
KauaiOffroad
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzrut View Post
Hello, I have a cj5 that cant drive straight, steering kinda gets hard then releases then veers off in whatever direction it's pointing. it has new tires and are aligned. Tie Rod End all good, Im guessing a bad steering pump. Any advice thanks.
Axle u-joints are definitely a prime suspect given that it binds and then releases. Steering shaft joints are a good place to look too and possibly the steering gear box once you've ruled out everything else.

In my experience a bad ps pump wont make the steering behave erratically like that. It just makes it harder to steer.
KauaiOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiOffroad View Post
Axle u-joints are definitely a prime suspect given that it binds and then releases.
When I rebuilt my D30 I was surprised at how difficult it was to turn the steering knuckles until I pulled the axle shafts. The Jeep was 25 years old then and everything in the D30 was OEM.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #13
bzrut
1974 CJ5 

Hi guys, after reading all your responses I decided to just order all the parts you all mentioned. parts should be here by next week. I'm attaching a picture, paint job will be da last. Thanks again.
1974-cj5.jpg  
bzrut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #14
hbar
1979 CJ7 

If mine looked like that, I would not be painting it. Purple jeep FTW! Not sure about the lantern hanging off the rocker though. YMMV.
hbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #15
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Wow! Extremely long shackles in the back. How long are the front ones? Vehicle attitude has an effect on caster angle too. Could be part of your steering problem.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.