'74 CJ5 vIN LOCATION?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '74 CJ5 vIN LOCATION??

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
foxracer677
1974 CJ5 

'74 CJ5 vIN LOCATION??

well i know this is going to sound dumb, but i picked up a '74 CJ-5 about 2 months ago and ive been playing around with it. Im about to go get it tagged but i cant find the vin. The body was rhinolined before i got it, and the dash isnt original so i was wondering wheres the frame stamp on this year? Its driving me nuts.

foxracer677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
74CJMatlock
1974 CJ5 

There should be a plaque on the firewall on the engine side. Mine's on the driver's side. Open up the hood and take a look there. (If your Jeep's like mine, you may have to scrape away thirty years' worth of mud and grease.) What did you get when you bought the Jeep? If you got a title, it should have the VIN. If it was previously tagged, the VIN should be findable through the state. Even if you know the PO's name, you might be able to do a search and find it. If you bought a Jeep without any documentation whatsoever, received no title, and saw no proof that the guy actually owned the Jeep which he sold you, well . . . .
Unread 03-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

74 has a vin tag on the firewall in front of the driver in the engine compartment
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
foxracer677
1974 CJ5 

no i have a clean and clear title for it, and it was inspected in NC a year ago so its there somewhere.
foxracer677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer677 View Post
no i have a clean and clear title for it, and it was inspected in NC a year ago so its there somewhere.
The VIN is on the title. The metal tag is the size of a credit card, and is easily removed with two sheet metal screws, so it is possible someone removed it.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
incynr8
1974 CJ5 

there is a partial VIN on the frame near the passenger side wheel well. I forget the numbers listed and will have to check mine. That can be hard to find and is not complete anyway. Otherwise it's dash sticker tag and the best one is driver side upper firewall stamped tag.

I am unaware of other locations. With tub swaps and fiberbodies it can be easily lost in these vehicles it seems, make interstate transfers nearly impossible, for instance mine state requires VIN rubbings for out of state cars brought in regardless of title statement.
incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You sure do need to find that VIN or have a 'whole' pile of the proper paperwork to back it up.

I got stopped last week in a roadblock out in the middle of nowhere and they were 'specifically' checking VIN tags for the proper rivets and the license plate stickers for being up to date.

I asked what was up and they were on a sting on rural roads looking for stolen vehicles, they had a blue YJ pulled over and he 'really' didn't look happy with what paperwork he had in his hand...

I think in most places you can get the ministry to put a proper VIN tag back on it for you so you don't have some serious headaches down the road.

I heard later on the radio news, that they nailed 2 stolen vehicles that day.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.