74 CJ5 - Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 74 CJ5 - Steering

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
cjjp
1974 CJ5 

74 CJ5 - Steering

Working on replacing the steering shaft and updating the hoses on my power steering pump.

STEERING SHAFT:
The shaft is in pretty rough shape. It appears to be a collapsible shaft but the "u joint" type connections are looking really rough. After my last incident of my bearing ripping my axel out, I don't want another issue, so in my break down of parts, I am looking to update the steering.

I came across this shaft:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-St...FSwSMwodOzsAcg

I have heard good things about this product and Im looking to attach it to my tilt wheel. However, Im having a hell of a time getting the shaft to disconnect from the tilt wheel, and also the power steering pump.

ADVICE on REMOVAL?

--------------

I am also replacing the power steering hoses. After cleaning the grime off the power steering pump, I noticed a Ford emblem stamped on it. I guess it's a swap part and not Jeep factory pump.

The question remains of the high pressure power steering hose and the return hose, BOTH OF WHICH have steel fittings, how do I find the correct hoses?

Thanks Everyone. It's back into the garage tonight with the BEAST, some beer, my tools, and some ROCK.

cjjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
CSP

Pressure side hose has larger fittings than the return side.

The hose with a hose clamp holding the end at the box is the return hose.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
LBJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

it cold welds its self .. spread the clamp , some nut buster and a BFH should do the trick ..vicegrip the shaft below the clamp and give it a whack .
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I used that shaft on my 73 cj5. It is a very high quality but the splines fit VERY TIGHTLY on the gear box. so much so I had to hammer it on with a bfh. I hope i never have to take it off. And yes it was the correct spline count.
Unread 11-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
fjnotcj
1977 CJ5 

Liquid Kroil will assist too with removal.
fjnotcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjnotcj View Post
Liquid Kroil will assist too with removal.
that is a good product!
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
cjjp
1974 CJ5 

Just picked up 2 cans of it on special for 13.50
We will see how it goes.
Damn tilt wheel connection to the steering shaft feels like its welded on there lol.
Perhaps some KROIL can coax it off.
cjjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
fjnotcj
1977 CJ5 

Love Kroil,
I buy it in the small cans, find the aerosol wastes too much. The can's have a screw lid and do a fine job of using just what you need (no waste). I get mine off amazon. I find that degreasing an area where I apply it goes a long way with getting good penetration. I'd apply it 3 days in a row and let it seep in before trying to remove it again. Hope it works out for you!
fjnotcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.