74' CJ5 Speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 74' CJ5 Speedometer

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

74' CJ5 Speedometer

Hopefully this is a "quick" question. I have a 74' CJ5, and the speedometer is buster. The needle is just hanging around in there.

A. Is this easily fixed?
B. If I was to buy a replacement, what years are compatible? I've read that the OMIX ones are junk..

C. How do I remove that bad boy? Can it be done without removing the dash?

FallibleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
rah2eq
1978 CJ5 

It depends on your problem. The issue could just be that your speedometer cable, which runs from the back of the speedo to the transfercase in my 78, is broken. If you search around you can find testing procedures to determine if this is the problem. Or the problem could be with the actual speedometer magnets which move the needle when your cable spins. This case would require that you replace your speedometer.
In response to your other question, the speedometer assembly is held onto the dash on the back side with 4 3/8" nuts on my 78. Extremely easy to take off compared to some things on the Jeep...
With aftermarket replacements I've really only seen the ones that go from 0-90 mph, 5-whatever mph, and the ones for km/h.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

Its not the cable, the miles are still ticking by I just can't tell how fast Im going. So any CJ speedo should fit as long as its the same range? Im probably just going to get one off of ebay if I can.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
requiembell
1983 CJ5 

Check out http://classychassisrestoration.com

Talk to Kevin and he can talk you through sending yours in. I am like you and didn't want to have to use a cheap knockoff of my gauge. I have all mine enroute to him for restoration and he checks them all for accuracy before sending them back to you.
[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][COLOR="Red"]"I am an archer, the arrows I sling weigh over one hundred lbs, can range 5 miles and hit a spot the size of a fist. They will penetrate any known armor on this planet. AH-64D Longbow ... [B]I retired from it but not it from me[/B]."
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]God Bless our troops and God help our enemies.[/COLOR][/FONT]
requiembell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out, I just got done taking out the old one... it may only be 4 3/8" nuts but that's a royal PITA...
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

Well... took all of 5 minutes to find the problem... the little pine for the needle is busted in half. Hense why it was still ticking over miles but not showing a speed.
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

Will any CJ 0-90 gauge work? I noticed my gauge's face only has lights for left, right and high beams but it has bulbs in back for much more.
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I think they will. I had problems out of the one on my 75. I took it completely apart and used some parts off a 78 that I had. I wanted white face gauges, but the original look so I sent it to Zach at whitefacegauges.net I believe. They calibrated (or whatever) the speedometer and checked everything out. It looked great when I got it back.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.