'74 CJ5 lift Q's. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '74 CJ5 lift Q's.

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
tomchurch

'74 CJ5 lift Q's.

So if you read my earlier post I just got a '74 CJ5 with a 304, D44 up front and a Frod 9" in the rear. I'm planning on putting 33x13.5 LTB's on it. Since I was off today I spent a lot of time on the net researching my options. It seems that I need about a 4" lift to really clear the tires with good flex and that's what I am looking for. I will be in the mud a lot but I also like to play on the rocks and I would like to see some nice flex. With that in mind I have an idea for the suspension and I am looking for advice since I am pretty new to Jeeps (I have a lifted Nissan).

Since I have read that that 1) the smaller the spring lift the better the flex because of the lesser arch of the spring pack and 2) the shackles really give the articulation. So option one would be to get 2.5" Lift Springs and 1.5" shackles (with 4" lift shocks and I assume I need a dropped pitman arm and shims for the driveline angles). I am not opposed to cutting some fender if needed as well but need to keep the jeep street legal. The other option is just to go with a 4" lift (with 4" lift shocks and I assume I need a dropped pitman arm and shims for the driveline angles) and just make it easy. Will the spring/shackle combo really give me better flex than the 4" springs alone?

Not planning on a body lift unless I really need the overall lift to go over 4" which I don't think is needed for 33's.

Also I assume rim backspacing will play a role in rubbing...what is a good BS for this setup?

Thanks,
Tom

tomchurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have 33s with w 2.5" lift and lots of trimming. My shackles add another 3/8" or so (5/8" longer than stock). Everything is still covered legal wise although we don't have regs here in KY. The problem is the up stroke of the suspension. With only about 3/4" lip left in the front fenders and about 4" cut out behind the tire on the rear I have my bump stops lower than stock. I did this to keep my springs from bending backwards. The fronts are 1 1/2" lower and the rear are 2" lower. With this lift my rear driveshaft barely works in stock form running at about 13 deg. This is with a T18 so my driveline might be a little longer than yours. So IMHO if you go higher than I am you'll need a CV style rear driveshaft or drop your tranfer case which wouldn't be smart considering that you plan to use your Jeep off road.

So, what to do. Set it up similar to mine. By a larger lift and plan to do a CV rear drive shaft ($450) and lower bump stops than mine. If you do major trimming the front fenders look fine. If you want the rear not to look so butch you could get TJ flares and mount them close to the stock front edge of the rear fenderwells and trim the rear portion out.
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
tomchurch

So you had to do major trimming with that setup...hmmm...Maybe a 1" body lift is in order then. I'm ok with some trimming but I think we have tougher front fender regs out here in NY and I would loke to have some decent articulation.

Thanks
Tom
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The 1" body lift should take care of the front. You may still have problems with the back corner in the front scrubbing the tire when turning. The rear will still require a little trimming with the tires sticking out of the fenders. I assume that tires are sticking out with the axle swaps. If your 33s I would do 2.5" with some HD shackles and the 1" body lift. Then take it somewhere controlled you can flex it and see what will hit. Take measures from there (trimming, bumpstops).
Unread 01-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
tomchurch

Thanks for the advice...that sounds like the best plan of attack. It's going to be a good long process of testing and cutting.

Tom
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
Rockram1

Tom build a lift. Order a 4" lift springs for the rear and a set of Rancho 44044 for the front. These are 2" lift for a waggy. However they are equal to a 4" CJ lift. the added bonus is the centering pin is offset 2" this will allow you to move the front axle forward preventing the rubbing of the front fender. also increases the wheelbase. If youwant to put them front and rear you can increase the wheelbase to 99". Just a bit of fyi.
Unread 01-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
tomchurch

hmm...thats an intersting option...is there a write up on the process/results someplace? Any welding required?

Tom
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The Rancho 44044 springs are 2 1/2" I think. You'll have to install new spring hangers which will require welding because your existing springs (unless they have been changed) are 1 3/4" wide. I would measure because with the axle swap they may have done something different with the springs too. I have been thinking of doing these Ranchos in the rear. It will take about 2 degrees out of my driveshaft which would make it happier. They are the same length as the stock rear springs. The front is a different story. They are longer which is good and bad. Longer means the front hanger needs to move to move the axle forward. The 44044s are the same length as your shorter stock front springs from the eye to the pin on the short side. The down side is that your approach angle suffers (shackles farther from tire). The up side is the spring is longer so a little more flex. Moving your axle may make your tierod and drag link interfere with each other so check that out as well.
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
rockreligious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973
The Rancho 44044 springs are 2 1/2" I think. You'll have to install new spring hangers which will require welding because your existing springs (unless they have been changed) are 1 3/4" wide. I would measure because with the axle swap they may have done something different with the springs too. I have been thinking of doing these Ranchos in the rear. It will take about 2 degrees out of my driveshaft which would make it happier. They are the same length as the stock rear springs. The front is a different story. They are longer which is good and bad. Longer means the front hanger needs to move to move the axle forward. The 44044s are the same length as your shorter stock front springs from the eye to the pin on the short side. The down side is that your approach angle suffers (shackles farther from tire). The up side is the spring is longer so a little more flex. Moving your axle may make your tierod and drag link interfere with each other so check that out as well.
I run 44044's on my YJ, 104" wheel base. I moved rear end back and front end forward and used a shackle reverse, comp cut the tub and moved fuel tank up into the tub, yes the center pin is offset 22"pin24" eye to eye I used that as an advantage for better approach and departure by turning the spring. Ive never seen these on a CJ5 you may have to lenthen your frame or mount shackle hangers off your bumpers.

YJ w/ CJ clip hpd44/ford9/38's/44044's/rockram/onboard weld/air/beads/104wb/teralow4to1/2loShorty.
rockreligious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
tomchurch

Probably a bit more than I can do right now...I think I'm gonna go the way of a 2.5" or 3" spring lift with some shackles. Then see what I have to do. Cut out some metal or what not...maybe figure out a way to make the front fenders detachable for trail use...we'll see.

Next question is what lift...the Black Diamond 3" or the Superlift 2.5"...

Tom
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the spring stats:

stock pre '76 front 2.5 lift
RS44062
rate: 314
length: 40.5
arch: 5.1
eye1: .88
eye2: .88
width: 1.75
thick: 1.66
offset: 20.25/20.25
#leaves: 6

stock pre '76 rear 2.5 lift:
RS44162
rate: 287
length: 46.7
arch: 6.15
eye1: .88
eye2: .88
width: 1.75
offset: 23.35/23.35

RS44044
rate: 300
length: 47
arch: 6.58
eye1: 1.5
eye2: 1.5
width: 2.5
offset: 22.5/24.5
Unread 01-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Whatever you do, be sure to reinforce the frame around the spring hangers and the box mount. Pre 76 frames are known for cracking at these places, especialy with the lift kits and added width tires. Personaly unless you are running bottomless mud or sand, a slightly narrower tire might do better. But this a personal choice.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
JROCK78
1974 CJ5 

Extra bump stop?

Since we are kinda talking about bump stops, I have 4 total on the front of my 74 CJ. One right over the axle , and one towards the back of the spring. What the heck is this for?? So the axle doesn't hit the oil pan? my springs are about an inch away from them and i know thats why i'm getting such a rough ride.
I don't want to get rid of them until i talk to someone that knows whats up..
Thanks!
I can post a pic later if need be..
JROCK78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.