'74 CJ5 Fuel Sender Removal Help?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > '74 CJ5 Fuel Sender Removal Help??

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

'74 CJ5 Fuel Sender Removal Help??

So I dropped my gas tank tonight in hopes of simply hooking up a wire to the fuel sender so I can have a functioning gas guage. Unfortunately, when I got it down there was no stud for a wire. There appeared to be some rubber nub with a broken wire coming out of it. I am going to replace the sender unit, but can't seem to figure out how to remove the old one. It looks like there is a ring I can pry up, but I don't want to if that isn't right. I tried to twist the whole sender unit, but it won't budge. Please, can someone clue me in as to how to remove the old sender without breaking anything so I don't have to buy a new fuel tank as well??

Thanks,
Scott

Scuter83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Hope this helps - Before you start, first clean the work surface of the tank so when you do pull the sending unit, no gunk falls inside!
I'm not sure about the CJ5's, but my 7 had an outer lock ring with three screws that needed to be loosened first. Once those screws were loose, you could then turn the sending unit counter clockwise (if I remember correctly) to unseat the sending unit from the outer lock ring. Install your new sending unit and new gasket (ensure the sock filter doesn't fall off the bottom of the sending unit when you place it inside the tank), lock the new sending unit into place underneath the outer ring, and then tighten down the 3 screws.
tank-pic.jpg  

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

I cleaned the tank tonight and I can't find any screws. I also only have one line coming out of the sending unit. I think I don't have a return line stock on my tank/sending unit, although the one listed on 4wd.com that I bought showed a port like yours. I just figured it was a generic picture for all years. Anybody else have a suggestion on how to get it out?

Thanks,
Scott
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Take a good look on the top of the sending unit. It should have a stud or a small threaded hole to accept a mounting screw. This is where your sending unit wire should mount. As pictured above there may be a grounding wire as well.
To remove the unit you shouldn't need to loosen any screws. clean and lube the lock ring. You will have to rotate it to remove it from the tank. You can use a spanner wrench or tap on the tabs with a drift/extension and a hammer to get it to turn. Once the ring is off, gently wiggle the sending unit till it is loose and remove. You can test it once it is out by attaching the gauge wire and grounding the unit body. Turn your key on and gently raise and lower the float. You should see a cooresponding movement on your gauge needle.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

So I few quick hits with a hammer and screwdriver and the lock ring popped out. I figured that is what was needed, but I decided to do it right this time and ask before grabbing a hammer.

Thanks,
Scott
Unread 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuter83 View Post
I decided to do it right this time and ask before grabbing a hammer.

Thanks,
Scott
Not a very practical attitude for a Jeep owner
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Scuter83
1974 CJ5 

So more fuel sending unit issues. I just tried to install what I ordered from 4wd.com, and it doesn't fit. I mean the lock ring will not fit over the 2 barbs on the top of the sending unit even though I ordered the kit from them. I try to put it on over the barbs, but the distance between the 2 is greater than the diameter of the lock ring!?! It also almost seems like the sending unit is too long, although it matches with what the part numbers say online. Anyone have any ideas? Looks like I will be calling customer service tomorrow.

Thanks,
Scott

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.