74 cj4 center console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 74 cj4 center console

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
blaylock6502

74 cj4 center console

My 74 cj5 is in need of a center console. It has the storage under the passenger seat which makes it a really odd shape. I haven't seen one made for it and have to assume like many things for 72-75 there isn't one available and I will have to make one. I have a "bazooka tube" speaker laying around and I thought about building a console around it out of wood. My jeep is a cruiser and in no way used for off road but I'm still afraid it wouldn't last long. Does anyone have any ideas or know of anyone that offers one??? Thanks!

blaylock6502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

I used two 50 caliber ammo cans welded together to make a center console.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/a...l#post13624356
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
SirWalcott
1974 CJ5 

I use an old wooden military ammo box, and another cool little metal box I had around as my console and glove box.I haven't built my dash yet, don't have a tail gate or doors so it was hard for me to find a way to store things . I have a 74 as well. I used a peice of wood I cut and put it in th two back seat holders(look like closet rod brackets) and the two font seats to hold the ammo box in. The other box is stuffed under a seat for now. I would like to find a truck tool box that will come close to fitting it as I currently use my back seat area and bed for zilch.(except my ammo box but a tool box can replace that) good luck, let us know what you get worked out. L
SirWalcott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
CSP

I have a Tuffy box between the seats on my '75. It's just a box, so it's not like they are shaped specifically for any particular vehicle. If the space is there for one, it wil fit. I had to make a front mounting bracket out of some scrap steel, but that only took a few minutes to do.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
blaylock6502

I'm considering a smittybilt console but it would require modification to fit cuz as I said it has the storage compartment under passenger seat so I would have to trim about 4 inches off of the passenger side bottom to make it fit but I don't know if the storage compartment goes all the way to the bottom if so if be cutting into the storage compartment if that makes sense.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
CSP

Why not just have the console sit on top of the toolbox that's under the passenger seat and make a mounting bracket that goes from the bottom of the console to the floor that's on the drivers side?

That storage compartment is really referred to as a toolbox.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
blaylock6502

That's y it helps to ask you would think that would be an obvious solution and it never even crossed my mind! Thanks!!!!
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
blaylock6502

And I guess if I would have read your previous post a little more carefully I would have known what you were saying! Sorry it's early and i hadn't had my coffee yet! Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.