74' CJ-6 frame off restoration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 74' CJ-6 frame off restoration

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

74' CJ-6 frame off restoration

So I am doing a frame off restoration on a 1974 CJ-6 I bought. Got quite a bit of stuff off already. It has the 304 V8, Dana 20 transfer case, Dana 30 axle in the front with locking hubs (Cutlas) and a Dana 44 axle in the rear. As of right now it's not drivable. When I picked it up I could tell fluids had been leaking out of the bottom for a LONG time, so I decided to just tear it apart without trying to start it. Too much damage could occur if I did, you know. So anyway, here are some pictures of my progress so far. If anyone has pictures of how these things looked stock I'd really appreciate. The goal is to return it to stock condition as much as possible and trade it for a rock buggy. These pictures aren't in order.

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
djui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
Unread 07-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

Got some more work done today:

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Arizona....you'd never find one that un-rusted in KY. Nice!!!
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Looks like a great platform for your project... look forward to seeing the progress.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Good work so far. That thing looks really cool, I'll bet it's going to make a neat ride when you're done. What's the story on how you got it? Looks like an auction or something.
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks fellas

I found it on craigslist on some forum. Having no idea what it was, besides knowing it was some kinda CJ, I asked around and found out it was a CJ-6 which is rare. The guy who posted the listing didn't know what it was either as he had it listed as a "wrengler". The Jeep was in Vegas, and I'm in the Phoenix area, so I had my dad who lives in Vegas go over and take pics and see the owner. Paps said it looked great for being so old and got really excited, so I had him give the guy a down payment to hold it for me and went out a week later to pick it up. I hauled it home with my Liberty. Best part of this was the guy was only asking $1,000 for it, with a clear title. It's also exempt so I don't have to do emissions testing/etc. The guy works at some small car dealership and bought it at an auction. His boss lets him buy cars under the dealerships name once in a while. He was gonna throw some 35's on it or something and wheel it, but never got around to it and just wanted his money back. It sat for a year after he got it, and who knows how long before then. I think it was from a flood auction or something like that, insurance write off. Who cares though, I got it cheap Can't wait to finish it so I can drive it around. It's gonna be a blast.

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Man that's not bad. A while back I was fixing to buy a CJ-6 that had an entirely trashed (rusted out) tub, with no title, for $800. I really love those 6's...
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yes, one grand is a great price and you have a good solid platform to start off with. I have a 75 that I traded an AK-47 for. Is is all stock without the tailgate and the "Jeep" on the side was lowered in 75. I did swap out the 258 for a 75 304 V8 and T-15 though....it will really move now. If you have any questions or such with yours, feel free to ask here or PM me. Glad to help out. One day I too will restore mine....its needs a little more work than yours in the body dept.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
joes1982CJ

great project
joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
If you have any questions or such with yours, feel free to ask here or PM me.

Ed! Nice 6!!

Can I have some pictures of your dash please? Also do you have dual exhaust now, straight all the way back? Mine came with it. You have one of the best looking un-modified 6's I've seen yet. I'm missing the cover plate for the compartment under the passenger seat but I think I found one if I can convince someone to sell it. Oh that reminds me, can I get some pics of your seat braces? I think my drivers side brace was put in by someone. It looks ghetto.

I'll pm you my e-mail address.

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
CSP

What you have there is exactly what they looked like stock, other than the wheels and fog lights.

That tool box lid that you're missing is the same one used since '46 when the CJ2a came out, so keep that in mind when trying to find one. It doesn't have to be from a CJ6. The '6 is identical to any CJ5 of the same era other than the length.

That's a great find. I paid $1200 for my '63 which was just a rolling chassis with a body on top of it. No engine/transmission/transfer case. Mine was relatively rust free but not as clean as that one.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Thanks fellas

I found it on craigslist on some forum. Having no idea what it was, besides knowing it was some kinda CJ, I asked around and found out it was a CJ-6 which is rare. The guy who posted the listing didn't know what it was either as he had it listed as a "wrengler". The Jeep was in Vegas, and I'm in the Phoenix area, so I had my dad who lives in Vegas go over and take pics and see the owner. Paps said it looked great for being so old and got really excited, so I had him give the guy a down payment to hold it for me and went out a week later to pick it up. I hauled it home with my Liberty. Best part of this was the guy was only asking $1,000 for it, with a clear title. It's also exempt so I don't have to do emissions testing/etc. The guy works at some small car dealership and bought it at an auction. His boss lets him buy cars under the dealerships name once in a while. He was gonna throw some 35's on it or something and wheel it, but never got around to it and just wanted his money back. It sat for a year after he got it, and who knows how long before then. I think it was from a flood auction or something like that, insurance write off. Who cares though, I got it cheap Can't wait to finish it so I can drive it around. It's gonna be a blast.

I posted that craigslist ad on this forum a while back looking to get some info on the year range for the cj6. My cousin was interested in buying it but he wanted a little more info on the drivetrain before comitting to the purchase with the guy. Apparently my cousin never called the guy back and missed out. That's gonna be a great project. It's nice to see it's gonna get the full treatment. Congrats...
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
What you have there is exactly what they looked like stock, other than the wheels and fog lights.
Thanks for all the info, and the compliments. I too was quite surprised at the condition, especially since it came from Cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8ya View Post
I posted that craigslist ad on this forum a while back looking to get some info on the year range for the cj6.

Ahh, this is where I saw it then. I owe you one Yeah it's gonna get the full treatment. The owner got a ton of offers after my initial contact, but said he held it for me cuz he knew I was going to do something with it, which I thought was nice.

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

Made some progress. Got the radiator/fan shroud taken out and some smaller misc things. Getting close to taking the front clip off:

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.