73 Cj5 Bellhousing removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 73 Cj5 Bellhousing removal?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
JEEPINWA
1973 CJ5 

73 Cj5 Bellhousing removal?

Its come time for me to put in a new clutch on my Jeep (a first on a jeep)
I have the 3speed and 304 engine...whats the best tool for getting the top 2 bolts off the bellhousing? I seem to only be able to get a end wrench on it (9/16) but I cannot get enough leverage due to how short the end wrench is, my thinking is to buy a long end wrench or is there another tool that makes it easier that I am missing? I thought about a breaker bar since it bends at the head to clear the firewall unlike a standard ratchet wont work. Thx for any input

JEEPINWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

I used a socket, universal, 6" extension, and 3" extension, working from underneath the jeep. This was after I pulled the transmission. The universal allows the socket to make the angle needed to work underneath and get at those top bolts.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
CSP

Put a jack under the bellhousing and use it to raise the back of the engine up, giving you more clearance between the bell and firewall if necessary to break them loose.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

I have a '72 which should be the same as your '73. I removed the floor board / fire wall to access the bolts.

Here's an old photo I have:
bell-housing.jpg

Unread 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
CSP

Typical of Jeep the floors of intermediates don't all have that panel that unbolts. My '75 doesn't unbolt and I've had one '75 tub that also didn't and one that did. Also have had a '72 tub that didn't and a '74 that did. I don't get it. The panel is embossed on all of them, but on some it was never a separate piece from the rest of the tub.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
JEEPINWA
1973 CJ5 

that woulda worked nicely never thought of it..it does come out in mine. I did get the bolts out from underneather by lowering the tranny some and using a ext and ratchet. Thanks for input guys
JEEPINWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.