73 CJ drivetrain problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 73 CJ drivetrain problem

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-14-2002, 11:05 AM   #1
gilb

73 CJ drivetrain problem

I have a 258, 3spd, Dana 20 and I think Dana 44 rear end with 3:73 gears. Under throttle the vehicle pulls left and when you let up it pulls right, as in shifting (clutching). Under steady throttle vehicle runs straight. My rear driveline is not centered from transfer case to rear end. First when I measure where the driveline exits the D20 it is to the left(drivers) 3/4", measuring from the frame to the center point. On the rear end, the carrier is centered with the axle, but the shaft inputs 2" to the right (pass side). I am measuring from tire to center of where the shaft mounts. So overall the shaft is goes to the right 2 3/4", making a compound angle. Any ideas? would this no doubt be the pull problem?

gilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by gilb:
I have a 258, 3spd, Dana 20 and I think Dana 44 rear end with 3:73 gears. Under throttle the vehicle pulls left and when you let up it pulls right, as in shifting (clutching). Under steady throttle vehicle runs straight. My rear driveline is not centered from transfer case to rear end. First when I measure where the driveline exits the D20 it is to the left(drivers) 3/4", measuring from the frame to the center point. On the rear end, the carrier is centered with the axle, but the shaft inputs 2" to the right (pass side). I am measuring from tire to center of where the shaft mounts. So overall the shaft is goes to the right 2 3/4", making a compound angle. Any ideas? would this no doubt be the pull problem?
Sounds like the rear diff has a locker in it to me!
Unread 02-14-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Could very well be locker-related, only one real way to find out . . . (acually, two, jack up the rear with the x-case in neutral and spin one wheel. If the other wheel goes the same way, Locker Ho!, if it goes opposite, open dif)

However, while I did not fully understand what you say, the angle of your driveshaft, and all of that other good stuff, should have nothing to do with your problem. Basically, everything remains constant, and the fact that you are under throttle, or steady, or coasting, can't be affected much but the angle of the drive shaft. I just figured out what you were saying, and I think that out of square suspension geometry may be the problem. Read on . . .

But, remember, that the force of the pinion turning tries to move the axle around a bit as it spins the ring gear (creep). This can cause squating under hard acceleration, and the forces are always present to some degree.

How are your rear springs and bushings? really tired stuff can, I think, show up in what you describe, but I didn't think it could be so severe. I have all new suspension on my CJ, and I can still feel some wander that is related to my right foot. It's the nature of the crappy steering and the short wheelbase (even shorter on your CJ-5). You may have just the usuall "exciting" highway ride.

But I'd make sure everything on the suspesion is in good order and torqued to spec. I'd even go for some poly bushings as well.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2002, 12:54 PM   #4
gilb

I jacked up the rear put the the transfer case in neutral and spinning one wheel does nothing to the other one. If I have it in gear and the transfer case engaged, when I spin one wheel the other goes the opposite.

Also I have put new shakel kits, inlcuding bushings all the way around and new shocks. Springs are the same but appear OK.
gilb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.