73 brake proportioning valve - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 73 brake proportioning valve

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNew Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition Coi

Unread 01-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
raven3
1973 CJ5 

73 brake proportioning valve

The 74 & 76 CJ service manual indicates a brake proportioning valve
was incorporated in the braking hydraulic circuit with stock drum brakes, front & rear.

The 79 CJ service manual indicates a combination brake proportioning valve with hold-off metering delay to the front brakes and front to rear pressure control proportioning with stock front disc and drum rear brakes.

On the 73 with stock front & rear drums brakes, did the hydraulic brake circuit incorporate a proportioning valve, like the 74 version?

raven3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I do not think there was originally. I do know that on my replacement lines on my 73 I have no proportioning valve. I still have drums at all 4 corners also.
Unread 01-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Correct no valve on a 73
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
raven3
1973 CJ5 

Thanks a bunch
Have done so many modifications on my 73 since, 1976 lost track of what was OE.

Converted front to disc in 1979 and installed a separate pre 71 hold off valve on the front brake line to delay application of pressure to the front disc brakes, so the rear drum shoe mechanism had time to catch up to the front disc brake.

Since was still using stock manual master cylinder with no vacuum assist power unit, thought needed all the available pressure to both front and back, so did not install a combination hold off delay & proportioning valve.

Often pulled a light weight 4 X 6 trailer made from a 1956 Ford F100 with no braking problems.

Removing the separate hold off valve to experiment on any negative front braking lunge affects.
Unread 01-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Everything on my '73 was 'FUBAR' when I got it,
But when I did the disc brake conversion, there wasn't any valve or place to mount one.

I did find out in a big hurry that I needed one since the front discs liked to lock at random times, especially in tight corners.
I used a '79 master cylinder, same year as the front brake donor,
Once I put in a combo valve, the front lock up issue went away,
So did an issue with fronts holding back pressure, even with the back pressure valve removed from the master cylinder.

Never had the back pressure issue before or since on a conversion, probably just an anomaly with the master cylinder,
But since the combo valve fixed it, I didn't take time to track it down.
Several years without problems, didn't even remember it until this thread reminded me.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
raven3
1973 CJ5 

My disc front brake donor was from a toyota land crusier and installed in the 73 without any modifications.
The Landcrusier must have used a dana 30 front axle, same as the 73 CJ.

Got a non Jeep pre 71 Hold off valve and installed it on the front disc brake line. Believe 71 was the last year for this type of valve. Brakes worked without any problems. Was considering update by installing a combination valve ,
used in Ford trucks from 73-79 that incorporates both the metering hold off section & proportioning section.
After considering both options will use the front disc hold-off delay only valve, again.
Unread 01-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
CSP

Toyota Land Cruisers have a six lug pattern, so something seems odd with that statement of the donor. Toyota has never used Dana/Spicer axles either.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
raven3
1973 CJ5 

The donor vechicle was not a Jeep, must have been a vehicle with Dana 30 front axle.
Unread 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven3 View Post
The donor vechicle was not a Jeep, must have been a vehicle with Dana 30 front axle.
Toyota didn't build a 4 wheel drive pickup prior to 1979. There were a ton of conversions done for 1978 and earlier that were converted using CJ Dana 30 front axles with 6 bolt wheel conversion hubs.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke View Post
Toyota didn't build a 4 wheel drive pickup prior to 1979. There were a ton of conversions done for 1978 and earlier that were converted using CJ Dana 30 front axles with 6 bolt wheel conversion hubs.
Actually, they did. The FJ45 started in 63. However, their line of "minitrucks" didn't get a front drive axle till 79.
That being said, all years of Jeep axles and drivetrains were a common 4X4 conversion for both these and Datsun pickups, which means the donor axle could have come from anything.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.