73-76 CJ5 Brakes Won't bleed - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 73-76 CJ5 Brakes Won't bleed

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Greekcj5
1973 CJ5 

Can't say exactly but it was well over 20. The only reason i stopped was because there weren't any air bubbles showing at all.

Greekcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

If you have 4 wheel drum brakes, I suspect they are out of adjustment, all 4 will need to be manually adjusted. Not sure on the jeep, but most vehicles have a knockout in the backing plate that you can insert a brake spoon in to manually set them. Basically, adjust, spin, adjust, spin,repeat until you have the same amount of drag on all the wheels, then hit the brakes a few times and recheck. when all are good, set the parking brake and recheck the rears, adjust as needed.

Contrary to popular belief, just yanking on the parking brake a few times will not set the shoes, and manual adjust has to be done first. After that the parking brake helps to keep it adjusted, the rears anyway.
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Greekcj5
1973 CJ5 

Lol i don't have a parking brake. I'll check to see if they need to be adjusted though. Thanks
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
OleBlue73
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekcj5
Lol i don't have a parking brake. I'll check to see if they need to be adjusted though. Thanks
They probably need adjusting. When you get them closer by adjusting through the backing plate, then you fine tune by applying the brakes as you move backwards. The barrel adjusters on these Bendix 11" drums are designed to do that.
OleBlue73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekcj5 View Post
I can tell the master is not the one for my year set up though.
If the master that it has is for front discs it won't have a residual pressure valve built into the output for the front brakes. This valve keeps the springs in the drum from pulling the shoes too far away from the drum. The result would mean that it would require more throw of the master piston to get the shoes to the point where they engage the drum.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
Greekcj5
1973 CJ5 

So here's the latest gents. I actually removed the push rod and using a broken 1/4 inch ratchet extension, measured the lag in the pedal and added an extra 1/4 inch. I cut the extension to the right length to remove the pedal lag and an extra 1/4 inch and welded the extension and push rod together, ground them down and rounded off the end of the extension. Installed it and the brakes work amazingly well now. The pedal is firm, doesn't lag and the brakes catch better than ever before. I think the PO used my rod on his other Jeep and left me with one that barely worked. I'll take a picture of the new push rod in case others have the same issue in the future. Thanks everyone your all your help.
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
Greekcj5
1973 CJ5 

So i hope you can see this picture right. My new push rod measures exactly 6 1/8 inches long (no pun intended) and its ground down to the same diameter as the original push rod. I used an arc welder with .030 flux wire set at Max 1 feed speed 5. Hope this helps others.

img_20130923_212439.jpg
Unread 04-24-2014, 04:28 AM   #23
Jcarney1200
1975 CJ5 

Hey read some of your post... had the same problem, bought new MC and gravity bleed. Worked like a charm. Just be sure you have the correct Prop valve mine was the wrong one when I bought it
Jcarney1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brake master cylinder , brakes , cj5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.