If you have 4 wheel drum brakes, I suspect they are out of adjustment, all 4 will need to be manually adjusted. Not sure on the jeep, but most vehicles have a knockout in the backing plate that you can insert a brake spoon in to manually set them. Basically, adjust, spin, adjust, spin,repeat until you have the same amount of drag on all the wheels, then hit the brakes a few times and recheck. when all are good, set the parking brake and recheck the rears, adjust as needed.
Contrary to popular belief, just yanking on the parking brake a few times will not set the shoes, and manual adjust has to be done first. After that the parking brake helps to keep it adjusted, the rears anyway.
My ZJ has traction control, I call it my right foot.....
Lol i don't have a parking brake. I'll check to see if they need to be adjusted though. Thanks
They probably need adjusting. When you get them closer by adjusting through the backing plate, then you fine tune by applying the brakes as you move backwards. The barrel adjusters on these Bendix 11" drums are designed to do that.
I can tell the master is not the one for my year set up though.
If the master that it has is for front discs it won't have a residual pressure valve built into the output for the front brakes. This valve keeps the springs in the drum from pulling the shoes too far away from the drum. The result would mean that it would require more throw of the master piston to get the shoes to the point where they engage the drum.
So here's the latest gents. I actually removed the push rod and using a broken 1/4 inch ratchet extension, measured the lag in the pedal and added an extra 1/4 inch. I cut the extension to the right length to remove the pedal lag and an extra 1/4 inch and welded the extension and push rod together, ground them down and rounded off the end of the extension. Installed it and the brakes work amazingly well now. The pedal is firm, doesn't lag and the brakes catch better than ever before. I think the PO used my rod on his other Jeep and left me with one that barely worked. I'll take a picture of the new push rod in case others have the same issue in the future. Thanks everyone your all your help.
So i hope you can see this picture right. My new push rod measures exactly 6 1/8 inches long (no pun intended) and its ground down to the same diameter as the original push rod. I used an arc welder with .030 flux wire set at Max 1 feed speed 5. Hope this helps others.