72 cj5 steering shaft - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-03-2002, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
jtd

Post 72 cj5 steering shaft

Can someone tell me if there should be downward play in the steering shaft of my 72 cj5?

I replaced the shaft, steering wheel and u joint coupling (not a project i would recommend). I have torqued down the steering wheel using all parts within the steering column: bearing, bushing for turn signal switch and the spring directly under the steering wheel. While sitting in the driver seat I can depress the wheel and shaft about 1/2" and it springs back up to the top when I let go. Everything is bolted up from the steering wheel to the Saginaw box. I can't find anywhere to take up further adjustment.

This project started with a replacement steering wheel and turned into a nightmare. Removal of the original wheel required drilling out the connection to the steering shaft, which ruined teeth. I found a used column assembly and put everything back together, but now the brass bushing which is supposed to contact the turn signal switch doesn't match the switch contactor location and I need to yank the new wheel to move the bushing. I can't seem to remove the steering wheel without ruining it - a one time install for this part.

Has anybody replaced steering column componets on 72 - 75 cj's? Any insight would be apprecitated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-05-2002, 08:23 AM
NC74CJ

go to the auto parts store and ask for a steering wheel puller! im sure they can fill you in how to us it. Good Luck

Bill

A stroke bolder, a pinch better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.