72 cj5 steering shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 72 cj5 steering shaft

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 03-03-2002, 02:25 PM   #1
jtd

72 cj5 steering shaft

Can someone tell me if there should be downward play in the steering shaft of my 72 cj5?

I replaced the shaft, steering wheel and u joint coupling (not a project i would recommend). I have torqued down the steering wheel using all parts within the steering column: bearing, bushing for turn signal switch and the spring directly under the steering wheel. While sitting in the driver seat I can depress the wheel and shaft about 1/2" and it springs back up to the top when I let go. Everything is bolted up from the steering wheel to the Saginaw box. I can't find anywhere to take up further adjustment.

This project started with a replacement steering wheel and turned into a nightmare. Removal of the original wheel required drilling out the connection to the steering shaft, which ruined teeth. I found a used column assembly and put everything back together, but now the brass bushing which is supposed to contact the turn signal switch doesn't match the switch contactor location and I need to yank the new wheel to move the bushing. I can't seem to remove the steering wheel without ruining it - a one time install for this part.

Has anybody replaced steering column componets on 72 - 75 cj's? Any insight would be apprecitated.

jtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:23 AM   #2
NC74CJ

go to the auto parts store and ask for a steering wheel puller! im sure they can fill you in how to us it. Good Luck

Bill

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.