`70 CJ5 transfer case shifter position? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > `70 CJ5 transfer case shifter position?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
ShaggieSAM
1983 CJ7 

`70 CJ5 transfer case shifter position?

I am getting my `70 CJ5 back on the road (only drove it a few miles before the carb was all gunked up since it sat in a garage since `07). It was a recent purchase and I knew it needed a small amount of work to get it running well. The previous owner last drove it in 4WD. It does have a 3 speed manual and I know those gear positions, but I don't know the Transfer Case positions nor does it have a sticker or "grooves" to indicate the 4H, 4L, N, 2H, 2L position.

1.) What are the model numbers for my stock/original equipped transmission and transfer case?

2.) What are the transfer case shifter positions.

3.) No matter what position I had the transfer case in, it always "peeled wheels." The clutch was either all or nothing and never a smooth transition from stop to go. I do know I have 4.1 gears and 31" BFG MT. Is it the gearing, clutch, or a tremendous amount of power coming from the Dauntless V6 225? Or a combination of all?

4.) Considering #3 and the BFG MTs, will I lose traction when using it for commutes in snow?

Thanks for any help...........................Here is a link to some pics of my CJs x2.

ShaggieSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
CSP

Stock transmission should be the T14 and the transfer case would be the Dana 18.

Here's what the original sticker would have looked like:

It's available here: http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/NOSRepro.htm

Sounds like you have clutch issues or possibly crap built up on the flywheel making the clutch chatter.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
ShaggieSAM
1983 CJ7 

Great reply, thank you very much.

I am not losing my mind when I say that there aren't any "grooves" for the positions am I? Is this normal or a problem? Maybe I am just used to my`83 Dana 300 getting stuck and hard to get out of 4WD?

Is there a manufacturing company that produces this label? <-- Oops, nevermind, just check out the link.
ShaggieSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
CSP

With enough slop from wear and tear over the years it can be tough to distinguish one position from another.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.