64 cj5 poping out of gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 64 cj5 poping out of gear

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
ridge28
1964 CJ5 

64 cj5 poping out of gear

My 64 cj5 with the flathead four cylinder and stock three speed keeps popping out of 2 gear and only second gear, any ideas on whats wrong, is it an adjustment issue or something else?

ridge28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

No adjustment on the stock T90. You have a broken detent spring, worn fork, worn sliding clutch/syncro keys, bad input bearing, bad pocket bearing, or bad output bearing.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Rick7

The T90 does have a common issue with popping out of second gear. It is related to forward and aft movement of the main output shaft. It can be fixed in the vehicle without removing the transmission. At one time, there was a shim kit available specifically for this problem. It contained various thickness shims which were horse shoe shaped. You would pick the thickness of the shim which eliminated most of the shaft movment, slip it into position, and then bend i the ends together to keep it in place. I have not seen this kit being sold for some time now but you can make your own by using tin or sheet metal of a thickness that works and cutting it to the correct size.

1) Remove the plate off the back of the transfere case to expose the large gear which is bolted to the transmission output shaft.
2) remove the bolt attaching the gear to the shaft ( you don't need to remove the gear, just loosen it somewhat so it does not restrict shaft movement.
3)remove the floor plate and then the shift tower from the top of the transmission
4) Push the output shaft ( the one attached to the transfer case gear) forward and look at the movement between the back end of the output shaft and the rear of the transmission case. (it doesnt take much movement or looseess here to cause second gear popping out problems)
5) Locate a piece of metal which fill this space and mostly eliminates the fore/aft movement. Cut it in a horshoe shape and slip it between the back of the output shaft and the transmission case. bend the horshoe tabs together to keep it in place.
6) reinstall the transfere case gear, nut, cover as well as the transmission tower and floor plate.
Rick7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Interesting. I am fairly familiar with the T90 and never heard of a shim kit.
Are you saying the shim goes between the inner shoulder of the mainshaft and the inner bearing race on the rear bearing?
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Rick7

Yes- just forward and against the rear bearing race. The kit was available during the late sixtys/ early seventies. I dont recall who supplied it at that time. It contained 5 or 6 different thickness shims and was very effective in stopping second gear pop-out. I used on 4 or 5 different T90's with 100% effective results.
Rick7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick7 View Post
Yes- just forward and against the rear bearing race. The kit was available during the late sixtys/ early seventies. I dont recall who supplied it at that time. It contained 5 or 6 different thickness shims and was very effective in stopping second gear pop-out. I used on 4 or 5 different T90's with 100% effective results.

Good info....
Well, I learn something new every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.