603's Project Jeep - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 603's Project Jeep

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #46
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603
So while I sit here in town unable to work on it and waiting for my FSM to arrive, I've been thinking about just where I plan on going with this thing.

Since I discovered that its a Tux, everything I've been thinking about has been related to getting it running as a more or less stock Jeep, instead of trying to resto-mod it into something really other than stock.

First step is definitely going to be giving the axles and lower drive train a good working over, then rebuilding the brake system. Next up in no particular order will be the steering column, engine, transmission, and transfer case. After that will come a new body tub and tailgate- the fenders just need all that stupid bondo ground off, and the hood needs a paint job. Last will be the electrical work, seat installation, roll cage, and maybe the top.

At this point, I've already decided to mod it in one area: I want a Painless harness so I can have an actual fuse box. I tried redesigning the stock system for one, and the result gave me a bad headache. That, and I also want a radio, electric fan, side marker lights, and a cigarette lighter plug. So Painless it is.

I'm uncertain about whether to get a glass tub or a metal one. I can save a couple of thousand off the basic tub kit by re-using my old fenders and hood and I won't have to string auxiliary grounds, but on the other hand the glass body will never rust and I can put on a metal tub whenever I want. I'm going to kick this can pretty far down the road. The current tub is way too rusted to be easily restorable- there's some freaking awful rust on it, and a lot of the body bolts are so far gone they just spin in place instead of coming off.

Paint is going to be interesting. I've found a sample of unfaded Indian Ceramic on the side of the windshield frame, which should make color-matching relatively easy. Its a surprisingly pretty color, but then again one of my ex-girlfriends called me the "gayest straight boy" she'd ever seen. I also have to paint the steering wheel.

That leaves the white grill and all that chrome. I'm not sure I want to chrome the bumpers; the front was black and the hillbilly rear had a patina. The other chrome parts- windshield hinges, windshield latches, hood latches, grab bar, armrest/seat cushion snaps, headlight bezel rings, and probably some more stuff that I've completely forgotten.

I'm also going to need to take off the exhaust manifold, run it through an electrolysis bath, and then paint it with some high-temperature paint. I'm not entirely sure I want to get a new one. Then take it to a muffler shop and have the tailpipe rebuilt.

Gauges- 100% replacement. Here's where I'm going to be modding it further- I want to install a tach, voltmeter, ammeter, and oil pressure gauge in addition to the speedo-fuel-water temp cluster. I'm going to try my damndest to match all the gauge faces to the cluster gauge; I really don't want to do like my mom's truck where each pod gauge has a different face.

So what I'm going to probably do next jeep weekend (two or three weeks away) is get started on the axles- grind a few screw heads off some parts I want to take off so they won't get lost- the license plate carrier, passenger seat mounts, and last hard top piece- and then starting to check the rear axles.
Sounds like a lot of work! But it should be fun.

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #47
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Sounds like a lot of work! But it should be fun.
Yup. Hopefully I'll be able to start making serious progress when my FSM arrives, instead of just puttering around on body-related stuff.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #48
teh603
1963 CJ5 

I just got off the phone with the state. It seems that paint colors and trim packages aren't good evidence to correct a vehicle's model year on a title. So as far as the state is concerned, my '63 Tux will always be a regular '55 CJ-5. The sticking point was the lack of a VIN, and the fact that it was assigned one based on the engine number. Since engines can be changed, jeeps repainted and chrome added.

*sigh*

I suppose there's worse problems to have.
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #49
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Finally got it in. The text is in pretty good shape, although some of the pics are really dark- black in some less important areas. Guess Kaiser Willys scanned it as "text" instead of "greyscale." Still, I've seen worse jobs from better publishers.
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #50
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

How exciting! Are you ready to dig in??
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #51
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
How exciting! Are you ready to dig in??
Not quite. Don't have that cordless drill and impact driver set that I'm going to need (since the barn has no electricity), and it looks like I might also need to buy a few more specialized tools. Still, I should be able to get the driveshafts down with what I have, and then pull the wheels off when I get the impact driver.
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #52
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Those wheels must be on there really tight if you need an impact to get em off.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #53
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
You know how most "professionals" put lugs on. With an impact driver instead of a torque wrench.

That having been said, its also hard to pop the lugs free without lower it off stands or having functional brakes. So the impact driver is my "safe bet" for pulling them.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #54
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv
By impact driver, he may mean this.

image-760395747.jpg

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #55
teh603
1963 CJ5 

I was thinking something more like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0026_200370026
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #56
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603
I was thinking something more like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0026_200370026
That one is a 1/4" driver, meaning it uses bits for Phillips ,1/4",3/16" nut drivers. Not what you want for anything else. This would be the minimum you want for anything lug nut size. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001LQLE2

And there's always the 4 way lug wrench. This will remove lug nuts that my 1/2" drive air impact won't take off.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #57
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
And there's always the 4 way lug wrench. This will remove lug nuts that my 1/2" drive air impact won't take off.
You've got to be kidding. I've never been able to take lugs off with a hand-driven wrench, even with a long cheater bar. I've only seen it done a few times, too, and those times the lugs were almost completely rounded out by the time the guy got them off.

Unless there's some secret to it? Special pixie dust on the lug or something?
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #58
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I didn't say it will take them all off. Just that with 120 psi of air in my compressor my IR brand impact won't .

On edit, a good tire shop will also use a torque stick with there impact wrench, even Walmart does.
Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #59
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
On edit, a good tire shop will also use a torque stick with there impact wrench, even Walmart does.
Funny, I don't think I've seen a Texas tire shop (or really anyone who changes tires) using a torque wrench. They just slap the socket onto the wrench and go at full power until it won't turn anymore. Then they get really defensive and say, "Well, we're torquing it to the manufacturer's spec!" if you comment on how you can't get the lugs off when you have a flat on the road.

*shrug*
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #60
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Torque stick, not torque wrench, Google would be your friend here, there's a difference. And if their not using one, I wouldn't go there again.
Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.